Twenty Two

Well, it is official. No matter what time zone you are in I am 22.

When I got to work today and punched in the numbers to my floor on the lift keypad (you have to do that before you get in the elevator as it preselects the lift you will get into), I was surprised when car 'B' opened and the usual mirrored back was instead a Paralympic panel - seems as though it is Summer Olympics times, and the City is rallying behind Australia's athletes!
The centre panel of a fancy display in the lifts of Town Hall House.
Work was work as normal.  Around 12:15 I headed out with seven of my co-workers to do lunch for my birthday.  At the recommendations of Cindy, we went to Sky Phoenix in Centrepoint on Pitt Street for yum cha.  It was a fantastic lunch of Chinese food, mostly dumplings, brought around on carts to the table.

The lazy susan at one point during lunch - many baskets of dumplings circulated around the table.
Mango pancakes for dessert at Sky Phoenix.
Cindy and I headed off to a site in the Rocks after lunch to meet with a few of the planners to check out a site we are working on.  It was really quite a reality check when I think about the fact that the decisions that my co-workers and I make will have direct repercussions for the next thirty years, and undoubtedly indirect repercussions for the next century when it comes to shaping the appearance of Sydney!

The rest of my day was spent compiling my first report for the City on a project I have been working on.  It is really exciting (and a bit daunting) to head up a project (no matter how small) for the first time that has repercussions well beyond me.

Tonight I took the train out from Town Hall to Jannila (about 40 minutes) to have dinner at Janene's for my birthday.  Along the way I passed through stations like Kogarah, Allawah and Como, which made me reflect on the seemingly odd names that there are in Sydney.  Rebecca had commented on it when I had mentioned 'Woolloomooloo' to her months ago, though I hadn't really given it much thought.

I had a fantastic dinner of fried vegetables (very southern US!) and chicken with Janene, her family, her daughter's boyfriend (who's birthday I share) and some family friends.  For dessert Janene made a chocolate cake with passion fruit icing (Jason and Rebecca would have loved it), which was quite delicious.

I got home around 11:30 or so and ended up talking to Hilary (who is currently living in Germany) for over an hour, before talking to mom for a bit, on Skype.

Well, it is very late, and tomorrow is work, but thanks for the birthday wishes!

Comments

Popular Posts