One of Many

A lot of people like to get away from the hecticness of life at the end of the day - to feel like they are the only one in their own little world.  I, on the other hand, love the feeling of being just one of many, just the tiniest piece in the puzzle of the world.  I'm not saying that I don't also like the moments when I am singled out and noticed - I don't think I would have survived two years of drum major, or a year of student body president back in high school, etc. - but I really do relish the chance to just disappear in the masses sometimes.

I just feel that people go around thinking of themselves quite often and don't stop to realize that their life is just one of (in the case of large cities) millions being lived in the immediate vicinity.  Insignificant is the wrong word due to the negative connotations associated with it, but that is really what it is... each one person is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  There is nothing like a sidewalk at peak hour, pushing my way along, passing 1000s of people in the matter of a few minutes to make me be happy!

Had bangers and mash for dinner, a great meal on a cool night.  Labelling pictures from the Biennale so that I can share those with y'all before I go on more explorations this weekend and Melbourne Friday week.

Phrase of the day: ____ week
Usage: Insert any day in the blank above and you instantly have described a week from that upcoming day.  Used at work, on tv to say when a show will be premiering (etc.), and when planning things. For example 'Friday week' means not this Friday, but a week from Friday.  Faster than saying 'a week from _____', and understandable.  An instance of Australian pragmatism in language that I actually approve of.

Comments

Popular Posts