Believed Me?

If you actually believed for a moment that I was going to pack, you don't know me all that well.  Admittedly, I did start.  I took the stuff off my walls, got one of the bags down from my closet, and started folding a few clothes that I know I won't need in the next few days.
With the window open, the breeze rolled in and the sun lit up the room.  I couldn't resist going outside, and decided that today would be better spent going down to Paddy's Market as Monday, when I actually have to move out (and can therefore pack in the morning, if need be), Paddy's is closed. 
I could not have had better timing for my walk.  The weather was incredible - nothing hinted of winter - and as I turned the corner from Shepherd to Broadway, I noticed the gates to St. Barnabas were open; they are usually closed, even since the building was finished back in June (http://vegemitebeignets.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/out-and-about.html).  Not wanting to miss an opportunity to see inside the building, I crossed Broadway and headed up to the entrance of the new church.  It is an incredible piece of architecture - rather than writing about it I will just put up the pictures from my exploration.

Walking up to the front of the new church from the plaza fronting on Broadway.
Remains of the 1850 building that survived the massive fire in 2006, displayed in the forecourt.
The sanctuary of the new St. Barnabas.
The undulating, light filled sanctuary of the new St. Barnabas.
The cruciform window of the entry foyer.
Information about the old building and fire displayed in the forecourt.
The arched door frame and steps of the old building, now in the forecourt.
As soon as I was in the church, they closed the front gates as their open house was ending.  I rushed through as they were beginning to clean up, and then headed out to Paddy's Market to pick up some gifts for y'all back in the States.  Near Market City (where Paddy's is) I happened by a deep pit site in preparation for a new building.  I stopped to glance of the archaeological details (the City requires excavation and posting of information related to heritage for many new buildings in attempts to remediate any ill caused to historic things), and discovered that it is the site of Australia's first Frank Gehry building.  I had mentioned back in early July (http://vegemitebeignets.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/127-in-127.html) that I had gotten to look over a famous architect's drawings.  Well, they were for this building.

Information about the excavation of the site for the new Gehry building.

Excavated site in preparation for Frank Gehry's building for UTS.

The building will be a very interesting addition to the neighbourhood - http://www.fmu.uts.edu.au/masterplan/projects/drchau.html  Hopefully it won't leak like a lot of his other buildings!

After I did my shopping at Paddy's, I went over to Central to go to the fantastic bookstore near Devonshire Concourse for the last time.  I spent lots of time there perusing the design books (as I tend to).  They have great books at great prices, and I found myself wanting lots of fancy architecture books, but ultimately I know I can't get them back to the US!

Well, now I am off to the Bank (a hotel down in Newtown) to meet up with Candice, Kylie, Sal, Rick, and Amanda - this is where I first met them back in March (http://vegemitebeignets.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/new-friends.html).  Tomorrow we intend to head to Big Brekky in Stanmore to go along with recreating my first weekend with them.

Comments

Popular Posts