4 July

As to be expected, 4 July is just another date on the calendar in Australia.  Like my experience in Jerusalem on Christmas Day, there are very few people in this country who consciously know (or care) that it was Independence Day back in the States.

Today was an important day personally, as I was supposed to be flying home today - I would have taken off at 1:40PM and would be just a few hours from LAX at the moment.  But, there happens to be a new country in the equation; USA, you are not the only red, white, and blue flag in my life these days.  That being said, I wore red, white, and blue today in a subdued display of patriotism.  The only Australian who even acknowledged that the date held any significance back in the US was Janene (from my American History course) - I got a text from her this morning with a bit of a tongue-in-cheek 'Happy Fourth of July'.

The last few days at work I have been listening to Star 94, a radio station back in Atlanta, streaming online.  I feel a bit out of touch with American pop culture and the music scene, so I figured it was a good way to begin to ease back into America (that and Pandora - the internet radio service - doesn't work outside of the US).  It is funny to hear about the things going on in Atlanta (14 hours behind, no less).

I had some workplace training this morning.  At midday I met Tiffany (who had been souvenir shopping with Hannah at Paddy's) for lunch as she is leaving the country tomorrow morning.  We walked over to Centrepoint Tower to go to the fancy food court (where Jason, Rebecca, and I had gotten food from the Snag Stand).  I got really delicious falafel.


Falafel at Centrepoint.
The afternoon ticked by back at work.  I had bought a few grapefruits at Coles yesterday to try.  I cut into one this afternoon and (as I had mentioned last week) it turned out to be quite a bit sweeter than the grapefruit I am used to in the US.

Grapefruit and another 'form over function' object from the office cupboard - a carafe.
On the way home I swung by the grocery.  I must admit that with school done and the house quiet I am doing a bit more (grocery) shopping to fill my time.  Rather odd place to do retail therapy, but I do love food and cooking.  With the free time (and the extra food) I am making some nice meals.  Tonight I did lamb sausage with mint, lime, and sauteed onion over risotto with some green beans.

Dinner.
After dinner I got ready for a quasi-American 4 July activity - watching the footy.  Tonight was the most important rugby game of the year, the final matchup of the State of Origin; an annual contest between Queensland and NSW.  Queensland (Maroons) beat NSW (Blues) in the first meeting, and NSW had taken the second, making this game the decider.  Being a resident of NSW for the last four months I have been cheering for the Blues even though they were decided underdogs (having lost the last six years!). 

While the Blues started off strong, things went downhill fast, giving up 16 points on their 8 to end the first half.  The second half didn't start off so well either, but things got interesting when they managed to surge back, tying it up at 20 with just a few minutes remaining.  In the end a few mistakes and a good kick by Queensland saw them capture the title for the seventh year in a row by 1 point.  I admit to ripping on rugby a bit, but I have to say the game tonight was incredibly thrilling.  I found myself jumping up and down and yelling at the tv just like when watching the Saints.

Unlike the rugby match we watched live back in May, there was a great atmosphere at the packed to capacity stadium.  Also, they started the game with the national anthem, reminiscent of 4 July, even though instead of the Star Spangled Banner it was Advance Australia Fair.  I have mentioned the Australian National Anthem before (I think) on the blog.  It has some unusual lyrics (not that ours doesn't too) that have been criticized as being antiquated.  Australia's national anthem was God Save the Queen until 1985 (and technically still is, just in conjunction with Advance Australia Fair), and the history of choosing a national anthem is pretty interesting (check the Wikipedia article out about it if you are nerdy like me).  I have included the profound (that was meant ironically) lyrics for your enjoyment:


Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

The fourth line is the one that seems to receive the most criticism - either because 'girt' is a word that isn't really a word known by anyone (it means surrounded), or because it is stating the obvious, that Australia is surrounded by water.  As much as The Star Spangled Banner catches flack, I think it is a bit better than Advance Australia Fair.

Anyways, I am happy that I am not in a plane over the Pacific right now - I'm not quite ready to leave Australia yet.  I have a few more adventures to go on first!

Comments

Popular Posts