The Last Suburb(s)

As I think I have explained in the past, each neighbourhood in Sydney is called a 'suburb', regardless of whether it is within the urban heart of the city or not.  There are 32 suburbs that fall under the auspices of the Sydney City Council.  There are a few suburbs (Annandale, Beaconsfield, Forest Lodge, Rosebery, and Zetland) which I would consider out of the City, well further than my house is from the CBD, but for one reason or another I had made it to each of them (or at least through each of them as some are pretty much just residential.
Of the 32 suburbs, I had managed to miss two: Millers Point and Barangaroo.  The two suburbs, located just to the west of The Rocks and North of Darling Harbour are pretty well smack in the middle of the City with great views of the Harbour, Bridge, and North Sydney - there really is not excuse for me not having got to them until this point.

Today I got to go explore them quite extensively as I did some surveying and picture taking for work.  Barangaroo is on reclaimed land, and served as industrial and shipping areas for the better part of the last century.  It is now slated for redevelopment, with a large feature being 'Headlands Park' set to open in 2015. While I could go on and on about the history of the suburbs, I will just share some of the pictures and leave it at that.

Walking under a portal of the Harbour Bridge approach over The Rocks on the way to Millers Point.
ANZAC Bridge in Pyrmont from Millers Point, looking over Barangaroo.
The void that is currently Barangaroo from Millers Point.
Remains of a long gone terrace in Millers Point.
Harbour Bridge from Millers Point.
A few signs is all that indicate the fate of the massive expanse (acres upon acres) of concrete that is currently Barangaroo.
Harbour Bridge and Luna Park in North Sydney from what will become Headlands Park.
UTS (on Broadway, near my house) seen from South Barangaroo, looking toward Darling Harbour.

Tomorrow I have some training in the morning with one of my coworkers who also started with the City in the last month.  Other than that nothing too major planned for the Fourth of July.

Also, tonight I finished posting all of my Uluru photos to facebook.  I will send out an email blast tomorrow with the link for people to access them.  I took very few pictures in Canberra (comparatively), so those should be up soon as well.

Comments

Popular Posts