I Can't Title Two Posts the Same Thing

I left work today feeling the same way I did yesterday - very lucky to be doing what I am doing!

Before I launch into a post about my day, I want to let everyone know that the blog has now had over 3,000 views since I arrived in late February! Thanks to all of those who have been reading it since the beginning.  I also know a few people who have just discovered it - I hope you enjoy, and best of luck with perusing the last four and a half months worth of writing!

When I got into work this morning I hit the ground running to finish up the written component of my report (well, the first draft).  By 10:30 I had proofed and printed it for review, which likely won't happen until Friday as everyone seems to be swamped in work of their own.  That just means that next week will be spent fixing it all up in its final iteration before I go back to the states.

With that done for now, and faced with a fairly empty office as people were off at meetings, I ended up being recruited to help the George Street team (something I had been wanting to do since I got to Town Hall!).  The group, who sits on the far side of the floor where I tend to not venture, is working on the massive undertaking of the redevelopment of George Street, the main thoroughfare through the city.  The changes include light rail and pedestrianization of large swaths of the street through the CBD.  Overall, it is a long range project, but one of the linchpins in the Sydney 2030 plan.  I think I shared a link to a video about it last week, but here it is again: http://www.youtube.com/embed/RFXYirTVv5M

My task for the day became documenting every Heritage Item on George Street.  As it was a task which promised to take me most of the afternoon, it seemed logical to divide the street in half (conveniently, Town Hall is about the halfway mark).  I decided to tackle upper George Street first, and after finding out that one of my coworkers also needed photos at the MCA (located at the north end of George Street at Circular Quay), I began the trek north, snapping photos along the way.  The walk round-trip was right around 3k (1.8 miles) with a nice halfway break at the MCA (it was pretty toasty in the sun, so the AC was nice for a bit).
The Opera House from the sculpture deck of the MCA.
Harbour Bridge from the sculpture deck of the MCA.
It was about this time that I was thinking just how wonderful my job is!  I turned around and headed back south toward Town Hall, documenting the other side of the street this time.  On the way back I stopped in at Darrell Lea, a famous Australian candy story which became huge news last week when they announced bankruptcy.  Knowing how hard everyone was working, and how sugar tends to help people relax a bit (plus, let's be honest, people had been raving about it since last week, and bemoaning the possible closure of an 81 year old Australian staple - I had to try it for myself!) I stopped in and bought their 'famous' #37 black licorice as well as strawberry for those who don't like licorice, to share with the office http://www.dlea.com.au/original-soft-eating-liquorice-1451.html.  Also, I bought chocolate soft caramels and chocolate covered ginger to try at a later date.  I will let you know how they are.

When I got back to the office around 1:30 I had lunch before opening up the liquorice and spreading a bit of joy around the office.  I really am not the biggest fan of black liquorice (though I don't dislike it either), but I enjoyed both of the flavours.

Liquorice from Darrell Lea.
After my brief stint as the candy man, I grabbed the camera and headed back out to George Street, this time turning south toward Central.  I did the same method as before, documenting one side on the way down and one on the way back.  Along my walk through the warming winter afternoon sun, I got the time to think about how George Street will really change in the coming years with the implementation of the Sydney 2030 plans.  I snapped a picture as I headed toward Central of what it looks like now, so one day down the road I can look back and see tangible change.

Looking south down George Street near Campbell Street.
Also, along the way, I noticed a funny sign in a window that I thought was worth taking a photo of.
The 31th, eh?
Once back at Town Hall, I jumped a northbound train to Circular Quay for my second visit to the MCA of the day, this time to grab some photos for Cindy.  I got back to the office from this escapade around 4:00 and worked for the rest of the afternoon on sorting out the photos I had taken on George Street during the day.  At quitting time I packed up, and with no pressing reason to rush home from downtown, and some liquorice leftover that I really didn't need to be eating (not to mention some encouragement on Amanda's part), I swung by Wynyard on the way home to drop off the leftover liquorice at Amanda's office.

Tomorrow evening I am looking forward to attending a presentation at work given by the a member of the firm who helped developed the master plan for Christchurch after over 50% of the city was destroyed in the earthquake last year.  Work affords all sorts of interesting experiences.

As is my general MO, I should be getting packed for my trip to Melbourne as it is my last night to pack before the trip (while my trip technically isn't tomorrow morning, I have to be ready to go as I will be late at work tomorrow and am staying at Amanda's tomorrow because we have an obscenely early flight)! I better get to packing - but I know I won't do it until later... I know myself too well by now.  Though, come next week when I am back from Melbourne I have to start packing my room as I will only have a week before I have to move out of my house.

I will try to post from Amanda's tomorrow, but I need to head to bed early because our flight is at 6:55AM.  If not, you won't hear from me until Sunday night or Monday when I return from Melbourne.

Comments

Popular Posts