Five Months

I arrived in Australia five months ago this morning.  So really, at this point I have been here five months and a day (considering I landed at 6:00AM) - hard to believe I am leaving in just five days.
Today at work I submitted my report, the culmination of almost five months of work.  I got great feedback and support from the people I have been working with; no doubt I would not have known what I was doing without them!  It is now off and away up to the big-wigs for review (or down, as they work on the seventh floor).

This afternoon I put together a montage of the south side of Martin Place (very much like the north side I posted about yesterday).  I have a few finishing touches to put on tomorrow, but that was pretty much an open and shut project.

As I left the office this evening (I got out just after 5:00, a big achievement of late!) it was still light outside; I suppose with the solstice being over a month ago it was bound to happen.  After thinking for a moment I realized this was the last time I would be walking home from work.  Tomorrow I will be doing drinks with the office and then take the train out to 'the house', Monday I have off to move, and Tuesday I will be staying at 'the house'.  It is hard to believe that this was really my last commute down George Street!

Turning from Bathurst to George to head home.
I was a few blocks from Central on George when someone said my name.  Out of the crowd on the sidewalk emerged Jimmy, someone I would never expect to run into downtown after work.  He was off to meet friends, but we stopped and chatted for a moment about my pending departure.

It had gotten dark when I got home, but I went out back and brought the laundry inside, ending a four day saga. It was more or less dry; close doesn't just count in horseshoes and hand grenades.  It also counts for line drying.

Tonight I got to talk to a friend from New Orleans for a bit, which was nice.  It has been hard, especially since the time changed a few months back, to talk to people in the States as the timing is just so off.  I also caught mom online, and we ended up Skyping for almost an hour.  Hard to believe I will be seeing the parentals in less than a week!

Photos are up from my weekends of wandering - I will send out links in the next few days.  All I have left to label is Melbourne - staying pretty on top of things!  Be forewarned, I might not post tomorrow.  The goal is to catch the Opening Ceremonies, which happen to be on at 4:30AM on Saturday here, so it looks like I just might stick around 'the house' for a very late Friday night.  Hey, it's my last weekend in Sydney, cut me some slack :)

Comments

Popular Posts