The Weekend

Just wrapping up work and about to head out to Woolies to grab a sandwich for dinner before going to Central to catch my bus.

This morning I got things all squared away for our deadline, and by 11:00 I was out in the field to start a new project. The site was near Central so I struck off by train from Town Hall to do some snooping around and picture taking.  I spent a bit of time taking photos from different angles along Elizabeth Street before heading back to the station to catch a city-circle train.  I got one via Museum (going anticlockwise around the circle as opposed to via Town Hall which would be clockwise) as it takes the tracks on the far edge of the viaduct along Elizabeth and I needed some site photos from higher up.  I got some good pictures and got off at Museum to cross the platform and board a train back to Central.


Trekking through the main concourse of Central.
I had to wait about ten minutes for a train, but I was okay with that as Museum Station is one of my favourite stations on CityRail.  (Be prepared; I am about to launch into a diatribe about public transit.)  Opened in 1926, Museum station hearkens to its Commonwealth cousin, the London Underground, through the usage of tiling patterns and the inclusion of the roundel to display the station logo.  Even the old signage has been restored and took me back to my days in London riding the tube through the stations of the early 20th Century.  The configuration of the station - side platforms as opposed to islands - is more akin to the Parisian subway than the London, however. Also, it was the only station that did not have island platforms until the station at the airport was built in 2000.  It is an interesting fusion and is well restored, taking you back in time as you sit and wait for your train.

On Museum Station platform 1.
The vault of Museum Station - very Parisian.
Old signage - very London Underground.
Portal leading off to the City Circle.
Once back at Central I caught a clockwise City Circle train to Town Hall and set to work with the information I had gotten from my site visit.  I was quite happy as I had the opportunity to do some design work.

Anyways, excited for the weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts