Happy Winter!

21 June - the first day of winter.  Does anyone else find that statement mildly distressing?  Alas, it is simply a side effect of living in the southern hemisphere (like drains that drain backwards, the sun being in the northern sky, and the forgoing of the North Star for the Southern Cross).  So, I suppose I can move on from that.

This morning we had our hand-in and debriefing for studio.  I showed up at 9:00.  By 10:00 a few people had come and gone, leaving their stuff along the way.  My professor never showed up, so I left my stuff too and headed into work a little after 10:00.  So that was mildly (very) annoying.

I got to work around 10:30 and got my morning tea (I promise, it really is a thing), selecting a cup from the cabinet purely for its aesthetic characteristics.  I clearly work with design-oriented people.  Admittedly the cup was impractical, at best, and really down right a dangerous selection for hot drinks.  Lacking a handle, the ceramic got very hot, very quickly (granted it did slow down my consumption of tea throughout the day, so that was good, not to mention Cindy commented on how pretty the cup was).  Clearly Louis Sullivan (who is possibly my favourite architect) was a bit off base when he concluded form follows function - form is just so nice.  It is the same reason I chose the tiny fork with only three prongs on it out of the drawer each day at work - it is very pretty.  When I purchase my first personal set of flatware you can bet that the forks will be tiny and have three prongs.

(wow, did I really talk about a cup and forks for an entire paragraph?)

Work was busy again.  I worked on a few different things and celebrated the first day of winter with a cup of mint hot chocolate (hot chocolate with a mint tea bag added). It was divine.

Mint hot chocolate in my impractical cup.
I left work a bit after 5:30 to meet Amanda over at Museum Station to walk over to Surry Hills for dinner.  We are becoming disgustingly predictable and ate at Sushi on Stanley - it's just so delicious!  It was great to catch up on life, etc.

Tomorrow is going to be fun.  Like last month when I toured around with the Urban Design Team, I will again be tagging along on a group bonding adventure - this time on the Sydney monorail!  Opened in 1988, it is one of the most useless public transit systems (it doesn't deserve to be called a system) ever built.  A tiny loop (around two miles) that gets you to pretty much no where, coupled with the price tag of A$5 for a ride, even if it is only 150 metres, makes it wholly impractical.  It was annouced two months ago it will be torn down at the "earliest feasible time" - which likely won't be until 2015; but, once we heard that we decided that it needed to be our next group trip.  As the ride takes a total of 12 minutes (including the stops at the six stations), we will also be doing some other things.  I'll take pictures and let you know how it goes...

I'm going to bed before midnight tonight.  It's about time that happened.

Comments

Popular Posts