Success!

I woke up around 7:30 this morning to have a quick breakfast and cup of tea to start off my morning before final review.  Around 8:15 I left the house with my presentation materials to start set-up for review at the specified 8:30.  True to precedent, when I showed up I was the only student, and spent the next half hour with my professor setting up the space (chairs, tables for models, taking down the presentations that were left up from Tuesday) while a few more people trickled in.  Past 9:00, when review was supposed to commence, it was determined that I would lead off again, and I put my boards up on the wall.  Finally, about 9:30 I kicked off the morning with my presentation (to only 3 critics of 4 there, and maybe 9 of the 16 students).

Regardless of the turnout, I am happy to report that my review went very well.  The reviewers were "impressed" with my verbal presentation - a well constructed argument, to setting up the urban sequence (as this is an urban design studio, after all), and logical explanation from the largest scale down to the building scale.  My professor said it was because I was American, but I countered that you can't quite associate tenacity (and my love of over explanation) with all of my countrymen.

Review definitely demonstrated the differences in language here versus the US.  While I have embraced some of them over the course of the semester (because I got funny looks if I didn't), ex. 'carpark' instead of 'parking lot', I realized today that there are still many things I have not assimilated into (either consciously or unconsciously).

The most glaring one is the pronunciation of 'laboratory'.  While I've known all along that those of British English pedagogy pronounce it differently, it didn't dawn on me to consciously adjust in my presentation.  Considering it was a laboratory building that we designed, I can only imagine how many times during the presentation (and the entire semester) that people got a good little chuckle when I spoke. Other differences include ''U' glass' for the American 'channel glass'.

Also, this morning I got the booking confirmation and itinerary for my Uluru trip.  It is filled with lots of incredible experiences; I can't believe I will be there next week!

Well, back to watch some reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts