Off to Uluru

Sitting at my gate in the fancy (new looking) Qantas Terminal T3.  I somehow managed to get here earlier than I intended to, and earlier than an Aussie would – when I got through security they still hadn’t assigned the flight a gate…  I guess I was too excited about the trip to actually follow through with my plan of not getting here until an hour before my departure.

I woke up at 7:00 this morning after not being able to go to bed until late (again, excitement).  I had some crumpets and some tea (and typing this I realize I didn’t eat the two mandarins I had left for myself this morning – opps!) and was out the door by 7:25.  After a bit of indecision about which train station to go to (I have three that are relatively close to choose from, all with differing amounts of ease to catch the right train, conveniently correlated with the distance I would have to walk).  I decided on the path of middle resistance – Redfern – and caught a train straight away to Central.  I also somehow managed to time things very well as when I made it to platform 21 (for the Airport Link) there was a train arriving and was soon off toward Mascot (where the airport is).

When I arrived at the airport I went to the Qantas check-in even though I had checked in on my phone and already had my mobile boarding pass pinned (electronically speaking) to my phone.  I always like checking to see if there are any more appealing seats available.  To my fortune, there was a window exit row seat which I took with no second thought (legroom!!).  I made it through security but was subject of the random explosives residue test that the Australians love to do (both Jason and Rebecca got it done in Cairns – turns out it wasn’t just because there was nothing for the security people to do in Cairns).  The flight wasn’t yet assigned a gate so I sat for a little before sorting out where I was supposed to be.  Now I am at gate six and should be boarding in the next hour.  But for now I will get a bit of work done on a wrap-up for studio.

An A380 rolling by my gate as I wait to board.

Comments

Popular Posts