Getting Back to Things

With review come and gone and classes over I have had some free time (accompanied by some peace of mind that I don't need to be worrying about any work in an urgent sort of way) that I haven't had in months.

Yesterday I slept in and lazied around for a bit, did some laundry, and went to the grocery.  Nothing too exciting to report (though a light did explode above the checkout, sending glass raining down and the managers running from the back of the store).  The weather was incredible, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to do something I hadn't done since I moved down here - go for a run.

I used to love running after work in New Orleans, and would do it at least four nights a week.  Nothing compared to running in Audubon Park on the weekends or along the neutral ground of St. Charles as the sun went down - dodging the streetcars every so often made it that much more fun.  Well, running in Sydney is quite a bit different.  After negotiating my way through the crowds on campus and up and over the bridge across City Road, I finally made it to Victoria Park.  The biggest difference between running in New Orleans and Sydney (or any other normal place in the world, I would imagine) is the topography.  New Orleans is flat as a piece of paper - my run in Sydney had big hills and lots of staircases.  It did not help that I haven't run in months, and while I can't go as far as to say I am not in shape, I definitely was nowhere near running like I was back in February.  By the time I had done a loop in Victoria Park and crossed over the pond via the little wooden bridge, I set my sights on the massive hill which leads back into campus and up to the main quad.  My pace slowed (I walked up the stairs - I was not about to run stadiums) as I made my way through campus to the far end near Royal Alfred Hospital before cutting down from Parramatta Road, around the Ovals (sports fields) on campus and out to Carillon Avenue, past the Residential Colleges, to get back toward my place.  By the time I got home my butt was kicked - it will take some time to get back into running!

I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing and labeling pictures from my sojourns with Rebecca and Jason.  In the evening I struck out to Newtown to meet Amanda and a friend of hers for dinner.  We settled on a Lebanese place near my house, and had quite an enjoyable dinner.  Afterwards, Amanda and I headed back to her house to visit with Candice and Kylie.  The night was very low key (a bottle of champagne to celebrate my employment - as promised to them).  The quiet night was a nice foil to the last few weeks at their place where we have been packed to the rafters with large groups on their small back patio.

Today I slept in again and then worked on my internship reflection paper before settling in to labeling pictures and getting things posted on facebook (if you need me to send you the link, email me!)  I also spent a large chunk of time catching up with the family on Skype (30 minutes or so with mom and dad and an hour or so with Jason).  This evening I cooked some lamb chops that I had bought at Coles and did an arrabiata sauce for the pasta - quite a good meal.

Dinner of lamb over arrabiata pasta and field greens.
Tonight I am back to my essay...  I've labeled pictures all the way through Cairns - the rest should be up by the time I leave for Uluru on Thursday morning.

Comments

Popular Posts