American Portions

This morning I donned a rain jacket (in an effort to ward off the predicted rain) and headed over to Surry Hills for brunch with a friend.  I was a bit early and took the time to explore the neighborhood.  The street was busy as there are many cafes and a park in the area.

External louvre system on the Surry Hills Library and Community Center.
We settled on a small espresso bar / cafe called Gnome on Crown Street and I enjoyed some french toast with banana and bacon.  I returned home around noon and set back to work on my internship reflection paper, but, as with yesterday, wasn't inclined to get too much accomplished.

Kylie, Candice and I had discussed going to see The Avengers at the movies this afternoon, and they texted around midday to firm up plans.  As this afternoon fulfilled the promise of yet another rainy day in Sydney, we decided to not catch the movie in the afternoon downtown (which would have involved a fair bit of time outside), but instead decided to see it in the evening at a theatre we could drive to.  Not being people to sit idly around, we agreed to meet at Burgerfuel on King Street for lunch.  They drove up my direction and the three of us struck out in a soggy walk the few blocks down to the restaurant.

I ordered a 'Ring Burner' - which included jalapenos, bacon, salad, relish, and aioli. The burgers fell right in line with the prices of Sydney restaurants, and I expected an Australia sized meal (smaller than the typical American serving).  We were all a bit shocked when our burgers came out and were larger than pretty much any American burger I have ever attempted to consume (I have seen much larger at Fuddruckers, but never have been tempted to order the 2 lb. behemoth...).

My massive Ring Burner from Burgerfuel.
After a bit of digesting, we headed back to my place in the rain and grabbed their car.  We kicked around the idea of a few stops, but decided the weather warranted a trip straight to their place.  We kicked around for a few hours and watched some tv before heading to the movies.  The Avengers was fantastic - I can't believe it took me this long to see it!

I got home around 10:00, and I have finally buckled down. I seem to have finished the paper, though tomorrow I need to reread it and fix up the citations before submitting it on Tuesday.

Tomorrow I am supposed to meet Tiffany for a trip to Paddy's Market; it also might be time to clean my room and think about packing for my impending trip.

Comments

Popular Posts