AYQ

I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight. The airport is bustling as all of the flights that come in and out land and take off within an hour of each other.  I was on the first coach to arrive (as I am on the first flight to depart). I had already checked in on my phone, so I headed straight for security.  The coach driver had informed us of the amenities of the airport on the way over, and had warned us that the security people here can be a bit pedantic in an attempt to justify their jobs out here in the middle of nowhere.  Granted, you can get access to any place in the world by connecting through Sydney, so there is justification for the high level of security, though it does seem a bit silly just how they take their jobs more seriously than any airport I have been in.
Anyways, when I got to the security area (there is only one line) there were four personnel manning the station.  I got personalized supervision removing my liquids (accompanied by the heads up to the scanner who was sitting right next to all this action that I did, in fact, have liquids) and laptop from my bag.  I was motioned through the metal detector and then was pulled aside to be swabbed down for explosives residue.  They did a more thorough job than at Sydney, swabbing my arms, legs, shoes, belt, inside and outside of bag, hat, etc.  The coach driver was right – pedantic.  I passed all of the tests and was allowed into the concourse (hahaha), one room with a tiny cafĂ© and a gift shop, not to mention two gates.  I use the term gates very loosely.  There are two doors labeled ‘Gate 1’ and ‘Gate 2’ that sit right next to each other and lead out to the tarmac.

The 'gates' of Ayers Rock Airport.
I saw the British family this morning at the hotel, rounding out the reunions from our Sounds of Silence table.  Granted, with everyone being at the airport, and there only being one room in the airport, I expect to see everyone again before we leave. (In fact, there goes the British family now!).  After I wrote last I did leave my bags with the porters and traversed the dunes one last time to go to the Town Centre where I bought a packet of biscuits at the grocery.  I had plenty of time until the coach came so I sat outside the hotel with the growing crowd and used the internet on my phone (it is so funny how in the middle of nowhere the modern conveniences of life have still managed to creep in – it is a bit unnerving actually that you can’t escape, even in seclusion!) to catch up with some people in the US.

We should be boarding within the hour.  Candice and Kylie are meeting me at the airport and we are going to head to Sushi on Stanley for dinner.  Amanda will join if she makes it back from Newi in time.

So I suppose now is a good time for losing thoughts on my Uluru trip, as I don’t really have anything else to do…

I would no doubt describe this as a trip of a lifetime.  No doubt that sentiment might be a bit hackneyed; I have no doubt used it before to talk about various trips.  But last night the couple from Brissy made a point (that I already know and think about every time I travel); namely, I’ve been privy to a lot of incredible experience in my life, have seen a lot, and accomplished a lot – I undoubtedly have only scratched the surface of what I will get to see and do.  Fortunate doesn’t begin to describe how I feel.  I am only 21 and have taken many, many ‘trips of a lifetime’.  From my time in Israel to my research in Europe, I have covered a lot of ground in the last two years.   

It is worth coming out here.  All I can tell you and all the pictures I can share do no justice to the experience of coming out here.  As the sun set on Kata Tjuta last night we talked about how the sheer scale of the formations, the distance you have travelled to come here, the emotions you feel, the people you meet; it all shapes the trip.  It isn’t merely what you see here – it is the entire experience that makes visiting Uluru so profound. And now, back to Sydney where the saga will continue.  It looks like I will be going to Canberra in two weeks.  Once I firm up my plans I will let you know!

Comments

Popular Posts