Marathon Meal

I have just returned from a very extended lunch with a large portion of my studio group.  We started off after reviews ended, around 2:00, at the Rose Hotel, a block away from the architecture school.  After a few hours spent lounging on the patio and eating, we headed off to Surry Hill (straight down Cleveland Street from the Rose) to the Norfolk Hotel, where we were joined by various others throughout an evening of talking, eating, and drinking.  I got to know quite a few people who I had spent the semester with but never had gotten to know.  It now seems such a shame we all spent three months together, but did not become friends! Regardless of time lost, we traded numbers and, with two months left in Sydney, I have confidence I might see a few of them again.

I suppose now is a good time to share some news I have been keeping for a while (and if you are perceptive, caught a hint of in the last sentence):

Back in early May I had a chat with my boss at City of Sydney about sticking around with the City after the completion of my semester.  My boss was keen on the idea, and we decided to move forward with the process.  With support from my colleagues (and a month of bureacracy to get through) I finally got confirmation this afternoon while I was at the Rose that my boss has obtained the signatures from HR for the contract, paving the way for me to come in and sign it on Tuesday (not Monday as it is the Queen's Birthday - a national holiday).

While I have been planning for this (and keeping it a secret for the past month - which was really hard for me!), I have to say I am very relieved and excited to finally have a concrete answer.  While I am still not changing my flight until I have signed on the dotted line, I was assured there is no reason that I should be wary of everything working out now.  Plus, I had originally intended to sign the contract Wednesday and had already promised my Sydney friends (who have known about this since the beginning) a bit of a celebration before I head off to Uluru.

I should have final verification tomorrow of everything moving forward, and have to schedule a physical with the City's doctor to make sure I am of good health (as I have mentioned before, the workplace is really a pretty overarching place when it comes to occupational health and safety).  Fingers crossed that everything will be sorted and signed on Tuesday!

Comments

Popular Posts