A Fun Diversion

Day three of sitting at my desk, working for final review, but with a lot to show for the effort.

As I have previously mentioned, I have been planning trips for the upcoming month, but hadn't done much to turn those plans into reality until this afternoon, when I finally broke down, found what I wanted, and went for it (with a little encouragement from Jason).

Next week I will be traveling to Uluru (Ayer's Rock to some), a World Heritage Site (at the very least) and featured on many a 'see before you die' lists.  Located in the center of Australia, at least a thousand miles to an discernible urban area in ever direction, it is remote (to say the least).  I only have met one Australian who has ever seen it, and when she found out that I was going she said 'I just thought it was so beautiful, you really appreciate the world for what it is when you're so far away from everything.'  So I think that testimony bodes well for the trip - especially judging by the person that it came from.

I found a reasonable flight (think 1/3 of the cost I had been seeing), which is easier said than done, considering there are only two flights a day from Sydney.  I had been on the fence for so long about going due to the cost (with how remote it is, there is only one place to stay, and they are well aware of that fact), but after chatting with Jason I was able to convince myself what I knew all along - when am I going to be able to do this again?  Because of various constraints, and because of the experience that I want to get out of the trip, I booked an all-inclusive tour through one of the swankier companies that run trips out there.  Fortunately, the USD is getting stronger by the day (13% higher than when I arrived back in February), so the pain of booking wasn't as bad as it could have been.  That being said, I fully admitted to shaking with excitement once I had booked it - I know I made the right decision to splurge a bit as this will no doubt be a trip of a lifetime.  Here is the itinerary of the trip: http://www.uluru.com/4_Day_Ultimate_Uluru.html

Despite the weather still not cooperating, I broke down and did a load of laundry today, admittedly out of necessity (don't be too irritated, mom!).  With hanging outside left at the mercy of the weather, I was forced to improvise.  Thankfully, my ethernet cord stopped working last week and I purchased a new one, leaving me with a very long, otherwise useless cord which I strung from one corner of my ceiling to the other. With my heater on, and the clothes strung across the room, things are drying - slowly - and my room has turned into a bit of a sauna with the humidity soaring from the drying process.  I look forward to the United States where dryers are the norm.

My ethernet supported laundromat.
But for now, back to work!

Comments

Popular Posts