Brisbane from Above

Back in my room just as a bit of rain began.  I had a busy afternoon exploring downtown.

From the hotel I went and grabbed a steak pie at Pie Face down the street from my hotel – something I could eat on the go as I didn’t want to lose any more time.  I wandered to King George Square and into the City Hall, a beautiful building from the 1920s.  I headed up to the third floor, home of the Museum of Brisbane.  Unfortunately I had missed the opportunity to get a ticket to go up to the bell tower for what one of the conference goers had said was a great view.  However, the museum was phenomenal, having a huge exhibit on the World Expo (celebrating 25 years since its opening), including one of the marching band uniforms.


I managed to get in touch with the Tulane band director via email and he was happy to see the details about the display and recounted a few fond memories of directing the band at the Expo.  Additionally, there was an exhibit featuring panoramas of the city though its development (really neat to see) and one on the Brisbane River, tracing its path from the mountains 120km upriver from the city, and its impact on the city.

As I was getting ready to leave the third floor to head out of the building, I asked the girl at the desk for recommendations of other things to do in the city and if I could get a ticket for the tower tomorrow.  As luck would have it, someone had given their ticket (1 of 7) back for the 4:00 tour, and I got to go up the tower (aboard the second oldest elevator in Australia), stopping to see the largest clock faces in Australia on the way up.

From City Hall, I headed to Queen Street Mall, a street cum pedestrian mall.  I wandered into the Myer (akin to Macy’s) as they were having their annual one day sale (and the USD is looking strong today).  While I am not a shopper by any stretch of the imagination, I had let my shoes get to the point where they had holes in the soles.  I looked around for a while and found some shoes I was quite keen on, and after some thinking I decided to buy them.  I left Myer and headed back toward the hotel, passing the old Treasury at Brisbane Square on the way.

Now that I have dropped my stuff I am going to head out to find some dinner and maybe see the city at night.

Comments

Popular Posts