Thank you Ben Bernanke

Before I update you on my rater full on day yesterday, let me first thank Ben Bernanke for helping to cut costs on my trip to Australia.  I usually check the AUD-USD rate each morning and was floored to see the AUD trading 2.5 percent lower than yesterday.  After some quick research into the matter, it appears the credit is due to an announcement Bernanke made recently.  According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the AUD is expected to continue to slide.

Up and moving again this morning after another great night of sleep.  Yesterday I accomplished a lot out in the city, and today will be spent at the house writing up my presentation so that I can do a run though tomorrow for my old colleagues at the City.

While I write, I turned on the tv to have something in the background.  I am shocked that we get the Atlanta Braves game here - I guess they aren't just America's team, but the world's team!  Funny to be watching a game at the Ted from Australia.


Oh, hello Atlanta.
So, now down to yesterday...

I caught the 11.47 into the city and got off at Martin Place to walk down to Amanda's office to meet for lunch.  We struck out to George Street to go to Establishment.  It was a really, really cool building, and we enjoyed catching up and enjoying lunch in the enclosed courtyard.  After lunch Amanda headed back to work and I started to trek down George Street with the intended goal of Redfern to take some pictures and just get a feeling for the site that I hadn't been to in nearing a year.

Instead of walking all the way, a 555 bus (free downtown shuttle that runs down George) happened to stop by the QVB, and I rode it all the way down to Central.  I walked up Elizabeth and took the Devonshire Concourse under the rail lines to get over toward Railway Square.  I stopped into the discount book shop that I loved going into on the walk home from work and perused  the selection a little bit before continuing on down Broadway to Shepherd Street (replicating my old walk home).  The Central Park development and UTS building (where the crane collapsed late last year or early this year) are coming along.  When I left last year Central Park was not more than ten stories high, and UTS was just a hole in the ground.  Now Central Park has topped out, towering over Broadway and Ultimo and complimenting its neighbor the UTS tower.

As I headed down Shepherd, the sky began to darken and it started to drizzle.  I turned into the Uni in case I needed to seek some shelter, but the rain seemed to pass and I continued on toward my site in Redfern.  The sky opened up for about 90 seconds and I timed it perfectly to hide under an awning.  I spent the next hour wandering around and taking photos for my presentation.  Around 3:15 I headed back to the Uni as I had gotten in touch with Jason's friend Jimmy (who I stayed with my first day in Sydney last year) for a coffee on campus.  We caught up for a bit and when he headed back to work just after 4:00, I struck out toward Broadway mall to go to the grocery.  I popped into Coles and grabbed cereal and juice for brekky this week.

I then headed up City Road past the Uni and on to King Street through Newtown (my old haunts).  Kylie had gotten off work and was going to be picking up a friend in Erskinville for dinner, so I headed down Erko (yes, they abbreviate EVERYTHING) Road to wait for Kylie at Alice's house.  I sat around for a few minutes with her and her roommate, chatting about the US and getting to know each other a bit.  Kylie rolled up and we headed to Woolies to grab food for dinner.

Once home, Sal came over and I started prepping dinner.  The name of the game was tacos, and I whipped up some guacamole (with a bit of help from Sal) and cooked the meat so that we were able to eat once Candice got in from work after 7:30.  After dinner, we tore into a packet of tim tams.  Candice made some hot chocolate and I did my first tim tam slam (bite off the corners of the tim tam and use it as a straw to drink the hot chocolate before the biscuit begins dissolving). It was great to catch up with Sal and met Alice.  The night wrapped up and we headed to bed around 11:00.

I will spend the rest of the day working on my presentation and then head into the city for dinner at Sushi on Stanley - I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts