First Conference Done

Getting ready for bed after a very busy, but very good day.  I just watched the end of the Sydney Swans/Carlton AFL game.  From what I can tell it is just a few dozen people running around, chasing a rugby ball across a cricket oval, and attempting to kick it between two posts.  But if they miss they still get some points. Yeah. That’s Australian football.

Anyways… The morning started at 8:00 and I was out the door around 8:30 to head up (and I do mean UP – a VERY steep hill) to the top of Albert Street where a group of ten of us convened with a local Aboriginal guide, Alex, who had been around yesterday at the conference.  We struck out on a three hour trek across Brisbane, starting at the Roma Street Park.  Along the journey Alex spoke about the Aboriginal heritage of the city, from pre-contact to present day (also mentioning a few of the songlines – Aboriginal tellings of the creation of the landscape – which run through the city). We trekked up to the Windmill, constructed during the early colonial period and then dropped down through a small park, through the CBD, and across ANZAC Square (in front of Central Station) to the Post of Office Square and old GPO.  We then caught a bus up to West End and walked up through the suburb, catching glimpses of the CBD, until arriving at the crest of the hill and stopping in a pavilion which capped Highgate Hill.  The view was spectacular, and we sat for a few minutes chatting and hearing Alex recount a few tales, before starting down the other side of the hill back toward the River.

On the way to the shore, we walked through Musgrove Park, stopping for a few moments to talk about its complex history.  We then beelined back to Southbank and walked along the River back to the State Library.  A bit worn out, but glad that the weather could not have been better, we headed upstairs to the veranda to wait for lunch.  As we dug into the sandwhiches, fruit, and tea, the other symposium goers who had not joined us for the tour (including those who were presenting today – which made me feel spectacular to know that the Deans of major universities and people who have doctors of architecture still put off their work until literally the morning it is due), began to trickle in.

Lunch was great as we had a lot of time to talk in small group, and having gotten to know each other the previous day and on the tour, we got straight into fascinating conversations about our work and papers.  Alex and a few others ended up talking to me about my ideas on Reconciliation, my reactions in Redfern, and a bunch of other things that I had written on and researched.  I was encourage by the conversation, and it felt really good to have my opinion not only understood, but complimented and engaged by Australian academics and Alex!  I was encouraged to move toward publication, which is rather hard to believe.

At 1:30 we got back underway with a set of three papers, a discussion, and then immediately went into another set of three papers and a closing discussion.  In the last set, a professor from the University of Newcastle (who I had gotten to know over dinner last night) presented a paper which was similar in idea (regarding reincorporation through architecture) – I am hoping to have some sort of collaboration with her in the future.  Things wrapped up around 4:30, and we ventured out to the veranda for closing wine, cheese, and fruit. I had some more excellent discussions, including one with the Dean of the University of Johannesburg Architecture School, who encouraged me to come in next time I am in South Africa (because I would really like it!).

Things began to disband around 6:00 (which considering we were supposed to have vacated the library by 5:00, we were quite happy to have lasted that long), and I was invited to join the organizer of the conference, a professor from Tasmania who presented, and a professor from the University of Queensland for dinner.  We headed out along the riverwalk, abuzz with people on a Friday evening, and enjoyed a fantastic dinner (of shared small plates again) looking out over the River toward the CBD.  After dinner the two professors and I grabbed some hot chocolate – which turned out to be an exercise in deconstruction – some chocolate and two home made marshmallows in a class, with a small bottle of heated milk.  Admittedly, it was some of the best hot chocolate that I had ever had, and we had a nice chat until 9:30 or so when we all decided we were pretty tired.  We headed back along the Southbank and parted ways at the River.  The professor from Tasmania happens to be the President of the group putting on the conference down at the Gold Coast this upcoming week, so that was pretty cool to hear about.

With this conference over, I can say, without a doubt, my first architectural conference was a massive success.  I had a great time presenting, thoroughly enjoyed the other papers presented, engaged in some great discussion, got helpful, reassuring feedback, and met some people who I hope to continue to build relationships with as I move toward an architectural career

I plan on sleeping in tomorrow and then going for a run along the River (weather permitting).  Then the rest of the day will be devoted to exploring Brisbane, which from all I have seen is a very nice city.

Comments

Popular Posts