Wet Winter Weekend

Just back from "the shops" (grocery) with Candice, where we got things for casserole for dinner (meat and sauces made in a "slow cooker" - a crock pot to us [which apparently is what they call a Dutch oven]) and a (very) late brekky (or "cook-up" as Kylie just called it on the phone).

Winter has been ushered in with wet, chilly weather, which promises to continue into the week, so we are rugged up in the house and plan on staying in today.

Friday arvo I spent with my old colleagues from the City.  I ran through my presentation and we all chatted for a while, catching up and going through my thesis.  I stuck around after 3:00 and got a bit of work done before heading out with Cindy and some of the planners to Assembly a few blocks away for a drink and some more catching up.  Round about 6:30 I caught a train from Town Hall to Wynyard (not far, but didn't feel like walking it, and with a week long train pass there was no reason to not train it) to meet Candice at her office and head to her friend's birthday. Kylie had to work late (until 1:00AM) so I was Candice's plus one (as a token American I seem to be welcome as a novelty).  The party was down on Kent Street by Town Hall, and it was a great time.  We caught the train back to Arncliffe and beat Kylie home.

Saturday I woke up early (7:45ish) to get ready to head up to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains with Amanda and Geri.  It was pissing rain (trying to throw in as many Aussie-isms as possible) when they met me to start the trip.  We headed out on the M4 and as we got to the far suburbs the sky cleared up and the drive to the mountains (while traffic-y) was uneventful.

Driving up to the Blue Mountains.
The reason for the trip was Winter Magic Fest, an annual arts festival in the quirky mountain town of Katoomba (where Jason, Rebecca, and I went last year for a few hours when we went around the Blue Mountains).   It was pretty crowded as we wandered the streets and explored the art and food stalls.  We passed the Lebanese kebab shop that Jason, Rebecca, and I ate at when we were there.


We stopped at a pizza place on the main street that Amanda and Geri really like.  It was a good lunch and from there we headed across the street the Carrington, an old hotel which was packed with people looking at art exhibits and having tea in the cafĂ© and restaurant in the building.

We spent a bit more time wandering around the markets before heading back to the car and into the city to drop Geri in Homebush (the Olympic Park) for a work event.  From there we headed toward Enmore to meet up with the regular group for Matt's birthday.  We had a great time playing pool and catching up.

This morning we all slept in and Candice and I headed to Woolie's (as I mentioned earlier).  I'll leave you with one of the funny Aussie idiosyncrasies... all gourds are pumpkins:

Comments

Popular Posts