Back in the Swing

Good morning from Sydney.  I woke up from the best sleep I have had in ages around 8:30 and have been hanging around the house this morning.

As I tend to, I hit the ground running yesterday and had a fantastic time criss-crossing the city all afternoon.  I left the house after midday and walked to the Arncliffe station, just a few minutes from the girls' house.  I caught the 1.17 into the city. 

Waiting on the Arncliffe station platform.
On the trip there were two people about my age pouring over a CityRail map and attempting to decide what station they were supposed to get off.  The train was almost empty so I went over and offered my assistance.  It turned out they were from Houston and Boston and were visiting the city for nine days.  I helped them out on how to get to the Opera House (no, it is not at Central) and gave them other places they should hit in their trip.

I got off at Town Hall and walked through the Galleries to get to the Vodafone on Pitt Street.  After getting my phone set up, I headed north through the city.  I walked through Martin Place to George Street checking on a few building sites I had worked on last year.  Stopped into the Museum of Contemporary Art and then out to Circular Quay to soak in the Opera House and Bridge. 

The Opera House from Circular Quay
I then headed up to the Bridge and crossed to North Sydney.  Once there I decided to go east to Kirribilli, as in my wanderings last year, I never made it there.  In Kirribilli I walked to see Admiralty House and Kirribilli House (the Sydney homes of the Governor-General and Prime Minister). I also walked down to the coast and back to the Bridge - beautiful views along the way!




 Views from Kirribilli.

I crossed back over the Bridge to Sydney and went up to Fort Street and then down to Dawes Point to look out over the Barangaroo Site (which when I was in Sydney was empty awaiting the huge development that is slated to go up.  The area was now a hive of construction activity - the change is hard to believe!




Views from Dawes Point and Millers Point.

It was right around 5:00 and I was wiped from the 15k+ of walking I did, so I headed to King Street Wharf and Darling Harbour to sit and people watch to wait for Candice to be done with work.  I stopped for a schooner as the sun set and then headed up the street to meet Candice at her office. We stopped into the pub under her building and then caught a train from Wynyard to Wolli Creek to meet Kylie after netball.  We swung by Woolies (Woolworth's - one of the main groceries here if you don't remember from last time) to pick up dinner.  After eating we were all in bed by 10:30.

Now I am going to get ready for the day and go into town to meet Amanda for lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts