Turning Left

I am sitting somewhere I never imagined I would be sitting, really ever in my life, but especially at this point in my life.  Seat 14D of a Delta 777-LR.  It just so happens that seat 14D is one of those seats that you “turn left” to get to (figuratively anyway, if I may borrow from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel [which I do believe I watched last time I flew to Sydney], literally I still turned right due to the layout of the plane) in that it is a first class seat.  I cannot overstate how fortunate (and thankful) I am to have this experience – especially given the extended duration of this flight.
Stretched out in my seat
I was the last person on the standby list, so while I had an inkling this might happen, it was touch and go until I was actually called up to get my ticket as the last one to board.  I was greeted at my seat with a mimosa (which at 11:00 at night I thought was kind of an odd choice, but who am I to turn down a mimosa?).  My lie-flat seat was loaded with goodies including two VERY nice pillows, a down duvet, and noise cancelling headphones.  Immediately I was confronted with the daunting choice of my entrée – did I want seared beef tenderloin with béarnaise sauce, risotto gremolata and broccolini with garlic, or perhaps roasted chicken breast with artichoke and red pepper sauce, creamy polenta and haricots vert, or maybe panko-crusted halibut with tartar sauce, smashed fingerling potatoes and grilled asparagus, but yet there was bucatini pasta with marinara sauce, olives and fresh mozzarella, or finally, a chilled deli plate comprised of beef tenderloin and seared scallops with fennel slaw and tomato with egg mousse? I went with the first choice.

After deciding my dinner selection, we pushed back from the gate around 11:40 (it took a bit of time to load the cargo).  We taxied out to the runway and as we took off, something odd about the first class experience struck me – the seats are not straight forward like in economy, so as the plane slopes during takeoff, ascent (and presumably descent) you are pushed at roughly a 30˚ angle against the direction of the plane’s movement.  It was a bit of a weird sensation sliding sideways as opposed to being pushed back into your chair, with your feet not sitting flat on the floor like they normally would.  Oh well, I’ll live.

Immediately after takeoff we all received hot towels in preparation for the dinner service.  Before that commenced, however, we received a bowl of warm mixed nuts and a glass of wine of our choice.  I went with the Araucano Sauvignon Blanc Reserva (with tasting notes describing it as “juicy with honeydew and white peach flavors, a whisper of green apple and lemongrass notes.”) (mildly pretentious, but hey…) as I am more of a white wine type guy.
 
I settled in with Identity Thief where I had left it off on my last flight as the first course of dinner came.  We were treated to grilled shrimp with roasted corn salsa, potato leek soup, and spinach and radicchio salad with feta cheese. 
 
After the first course the entrée came (all on a fancy tray with fancy dishes and more silverware than you get in a nice restaurant – I went through 11 pieces during the course of dinner) followed by a cart of desserts.
 
I had a slice of cheesecake with some delicious, sweet strawberries and a fruit and cheese plate, accompanied by a pot of orange pekoe tea and a glass of Cockburn’s Special Reserve Port (Portugal NV – with the note being that Cockburn is “one of the benchmark producers [of port]…. [which tastes of] unctuous plum compote, Christmas pudding and vanilla flavors.”  I’ll leave it that it was a fantastic finish to a pretty good meal (my favorite course was undoubtedly dessert) and I am quite stuffed.
 
Meanwhile, the movie is over – the port is gone, and the lights are down in both cabins.  My seat has turned bed (thanks to its now flatness)  and I am ready for sleep with my pillows and duvet.  Hopefully I won’t miss out on the mid flight snack (which includes seasonal fresh fruit, a selection of finger sandwiches, and chocolate truffle cake)! But now, what promises to be a great night of sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts