A Week in Sydney

It's official.  I have been in Sydney a week!  It hardly feels it though... As I mentioned previously, I have been fortunate to cover a lot of ground, get a fantastic feel for the city, and befriend some incredible people.  I only hope the pace does not lessen as time goes by!

This morning I slept in a bit and made brekkie for Hannah and I (some sausage that needed to be used, eggs, and toast).  After lounging for a bit we struck out in the sun (I know, quite change from the last week!) to the grocery to shop for the week.  This afternoon I adventured a bit in the wonderful weather with Abs and used the cooperating sunshine to finally take my nice camera out on a walk.  We walked through the Uni campus a bit and then through Victoria Park and up to the Central Rail Station before returning home.  I will be putting the pictures up on facebook - if you are not on facebook and would like to see the pictures, please e-mail me and I will send you a link to them...  In the future, the only pictures I will be putting on the blog are the grainy ones you have been getting that I snap on my cell phone.  My nice camera pictures will be labeled, tagged, and put up on facebook - again, just request that I send you links and I will put you on an e-mail list to let you know whenever I put up new pictures.

Tonight we are making burritos.  They are not actually burritos, but the Aussies are a bit removed from any Hispanic influences, so the intricacies of Spanish cooking seem to be a bit muddled down here.

Hard to believe this time last week I was climbing rocks along the Pacific Coast at Tamarama... I can't articulate how excited I am for the experiences yet to come!

Word of the day 1: brekkie (breh - key)
Usage: As I have before mentioned, Aussies seem to have an affinity for shortening words and adding an 'ie'.  Breakfast did not escape the chopping block, and it is almost exclusively referred to as such.

Word of the day 2: burrito (standard pronunciation)
Usage: I mentioned above about the lack of understanding as relates the nuances (or even basics) of Mexican and Spanish cuisine.  When confronted with "fajitas," the "j" was pronounced.  It should be no surprise, as there is quite an expanse between Australia and any Spanish speaking country.  Therefore, burrito seems to refer to any form of food wrapped in a tortilla: fajitas, burritos, tacos, enchiladas, etc.

Comments

Popular Posts