Exploring by Numbers

25 kilometres of walking (that is a really long distance)
6.5 hours spent on the trip around the city (including crossing the bridge to North Sydney)
217 pictures that are going to be culled down a bit
2 peanut butter and jam sandwiches consumed
2.8 AUD on a heap of veg at Paddy’s Market, including:
1 kilo of carrots ( 1 AUD)
4 apples(amounting to a whopping .6 AUD)
8 garlic bulbs (that’s all they sell it in, massive bundles, 1 AUD)
1 onion ( .2 AUD)
I took Saturday as a day to myself to go on a massive exploration of the city and make it up to North Sydney via Harbour Bridge.I left the house before 11:00 and headed toward Hyde Park.My stops included St. Mary’s Cathedral and Hyde Park Barracks before I continued up Macquarie past Parliament and old Sydney Hospital before taking a quick break at the Conservatory of Music (a part of the Uni, thanks for the free wifi) before cutting across town to Circular Quay (on Sydney Cove with views of the Opera House and Bridge).From Circular Quay I wandered the streets of the Rocks, the oldest part of the city, and found a big Saturday market that I explored a bit before finally finding my way to the pedestrian approach to the Bridge.As the Bridge is so high above the Harbour, the ascent involved a lot of steps, but as I made my way across the Bridge, the views on the 15 minute walk were worth all of the trouble of the day!
Once on the North Shore I clambered back down from the Bridge and walked along the shore a bit and found a shady spot on the shore looking back at the Opera House, downtown, and Circular Quay.I ate a sandwich I packed and enjoyed the view before climbing the stairs along the cliff face (Sydney is very, very hilly!) up to explore a bit of Kirribilli (the suburb along the coast of North Sydney).

The view from lunch - Harbour Bridge is just to the right.

After seeing a bit of the neighborhood I walked through Luna Park, an old amusement park that sits on the shores of the Harbour before passing under the Bridge and walking through the park on my way back to climb back across the Harbour.Upon returning to the southern shore I walked through the CBD to Darling Harbour and crossed Pyrmont Bridge to head back toward the Uni.I went a bit out of my way to stop at Paddy’s Market in Haymarket to buy some vegetables.It was a really hectic place as all of the vendors were trying to get rid of their stock and competing (by yelling) on lowering their prices.I grabbed what I needed in the swarm and finally made it back home around 5:30.It was a fantastic time covering a lot of ground, and the pictures tell of quite a few sites – look for them soon at the facebook link I sent out!
Word of the day 1: jelly (standard pronunciation)
Definition: jello. Yes, jelly means jello. Jam means jelly. No exceptions.
Word of the day 2: veg (veg)
Usage: instead of vegetables… which is pretty self explanatory considering (as I have told you before) Aussies shorten everything.

Comments

Popular Posts