Architectural Musings

I spent the morning in Eveleigh wandering around the ATP and taking pictures for studio.  I have to say, one of the best things about being an architecture student is that you see parts of a city that others would never venture to.  As I mentioned before, the ATP includes a large selection of 19th Century Rail buildings, and it was a fulfilling morning exploring in and around them.  I would venture to say they are listed in no tour books, and I would imagine most people, even that live in the neighborhood, have never ventured through the compound (for many reason, not least of which is that the planning of the complex is horrible and does not relate to the surrounding urban condition – it is not a very welcoming place for a pedestrian).  As an architecture student, I tend to go to places that are off the beaten path, and I feel I get a very different experience out of cities as compared to another traveler or even any other Uni student.
I found myself doing quite a bit of thinking about architecture as I wandered the site.  The concept of a technology park or the archetypical office park is intriguing.  Through the deployment of individual office buildings in a field, presumably to allow the occupants access to the great outdoors and respite from the surrounding city, many office parks, ATP included, actually serve to isolate the inhabitants by compartmentalization them within the urban fabric.  It’s a shame really, to think that so much time is invested in attempting to suburbanize the urban experience at the deep cost of discouraging those who work in the location from actually becoming members of the neighborhood which they spend so much of their lives in.  In time, they serve to erode the neighborhood, and then themselves erode into nothing more than a vacuum that is void of activity outside of the workday.
There is quite a bit of empty paved space at ATP, and I think they would better represent it if they changed the name to Australian Technology CarPark.  The few buildings that currently stand in the largely undeveloped tracts alongside the historic trains sheds are neither good nor bad architecture I suppose.  Though I have to say, I was aghast that the defining moment of one of the buildings, the architectural climax where a glass box punches out from the façade and extends to allow for (presumably) incredible views of the city and possibly the water which surrounds Sydney, was used as a place to stick a potted tree.  Really?? I’m sure the architect went to great lengths to keep that moment in the plans, justifying the extra cost for the glass and structure, only for the grand architectural promenade, the reward for one who wends their way through the building, to be blocked by a 6’ ficus.  I likely audibly sighed, but no one was around to hear because there are no sidewalks – the complex was built to be accessed by car, and even at lunch hour there was no one outside enjoying the beautiful weather.  I walked past one of a handful of cafés that are on the ground floor of some of the buildings.  There were maybe six people in it… but I can’t blame them.  While the food looked appealing, the view afforded from the plaza of the café was of an empty paved expanse.  And this is why the world needs [better] architects.

The first assignment of the studio is to make one alteration to the existing conditions at ATP.  That change, an installation, a manipulation of the existing, is meant to be jarring.  As the site stands it is quite a depressing place to be.  I have an idea – I’ll share it when the assignment is complete.
After my time at ATP, I wandered back to campus, happy to have found some beautiful, hidden gems on the site (some exquisite historic detailing on the train sheds).  It did make me a bit morose, however, as that lovely detail was relegated to an emergency access drive wedged between the back wall of the sheds and a barbed wire fence which now separates the Park from the train tracks which had originally breathed life into the buildings.  Ironic how something so integral to the site is now wholly excluded.  I think this will be an interesting semester as we work to understand the tenuous relationship between public and private space within the city.
*I posted some pictures on facebook of my walk around ATP – check them out with the link I sent…

Comments

Popular Posts