Nice to be Needed

Today was busy, busy with a lecture and then a jam-packed day at work (from which I have just returned).
The lecture was interesting this morning, focusing on the development of racial relations in the United States stemming from the colonization of Chesapeake Bay and the social dynamics which existed from the outset of indentured servitude before slavery became a big things - pretty interesting stuff considering it is a survey course of the emergence of America as the country that it has become.

At work this afternoon I was thrown into a whirlwind of activities.  With some meetings and deadlines looming it was a mad dash to the computer to help out with some presentation stuff for the beginning of next week.  The computers were not cooperating and it ended up being a major production that resulted in a tea break with co-workers spent venting about the bane that is our IT department.

The afternoon was spent doing site visits (complete with office-supplied sunscreen... these people are on top of everything!) in Rushcutter Bay - a beautiful area to the east of where I had been working thus far.  Along the wander between buildings I came across an old cricket oval in a park overlooking the namesake Bay.  It was quite a nice little public park, and the houses surrounding the area above, overlooking the Bay from the cliffs, were really nice.

The cricket oval at Rushcutter Bay.
When I returned from the sites about 4:30, I encountered an office in a bit of distress.  The lifts (elevators) were making horribly scary noises, AutoCAD (the program that a few of us - the ones that needed to be working, no less) was not working, and someone who was heading up the project that I was helping with was only going to be around for one more day.  I offered my services in the morning (seeing as I don't have class until 4:00) and, after promising I had nothing better to be doing, was met with elated acceptance.  I'd much rather be productive at work than sit around the house all morning, so I will be back at Town Hall in the morning to help out.  After listening to the lifts make horrible noises our team decided it best to make the 8 floor trek down the stairs so we set off on our journeys home with a bit of a vertical workout.

This evening I was a bit wiped from the day and decided to make my commute home a bit of a foray into the public transit network.  I took a train from Town Hall to Central (I thought about going to Redfern, arguably closer to my house, but decided to see my other options).  Navigating Central Station at rush hour provided the rush that I discovered I loved when I travelled through Europe last year, and I was all too happy to once again finding myself pushing my way through crowds down corridors wending their way beneath the platforms.  I probably walked almost as much as I would have through Central as I would have too Central from work, and decided to hop a bus back to my street.  There are many buses to my area from Central, and I prepared to hop on the first one I saw - a 426 rolling up as I emerged to street level from the station.  As I waited to board a second 426 rolled up and I had an impulse to go to that one.  Not a bad call in the end, as halfway home the first bus had to stop to pick up passengers and we cruise around them, putting us in the lead until I got off the bus at my place.

Heading home on the 426.
Just a bit of work to do tonight to prepare for my tutorial and lecture tomorrow evening - all in all nothing compared to what I usually face in the US!

Comments

Popular Posts