A Good Sized City

I have just returned from a morning meeting at the Town Hall in the Sydney CBD.  I met the boss for my internship and he showed me around the office as well as the rest of the Town Hall.  The work seems engaging, some historic building documentation and the promise of some work on the planning of a new light rail line along the major historic and commercial corridor of the city. I start Monday with a compulsory orientation for anyone who works in the government, and will work 9:00-5:00 or so on Mondays henceforth.



I took the bus to the Town Hall this morning.  Transit into and through the city is well run, with eight lines serving the route I need to take to work.  Getting into the routine, I should have to wait no more than 2 minutes for a bus, which stops a block from my terrace, and the trip takes less than 15 minutes in the thick of traffic.

After my meeting I took the time to wander a bit around the Town Hall area and went into the Victoria Building, a large shopping arcade that Jimmy had taken me to on Sunday.  It was built in the 1860s to replace the markets which had been on the spot, and is now a large shopping gallery which still retains the charm of the historic building.



From the Victoria Building, I decided to walk back to campus.  The walk is not bad, about 35 minutes, and took me along Chinatown in Haymarket, past the Central Railway Station, and next to the BU dorms which I had ended up at on Sunday.  It rained along the way, but the walk was pleasant.  I am beginning to piece together the city through my various explorations, and my piecemeal picture of the city is quickly becoming a comprehensive understanding of the relationships of neighborhoods.  Overall, I have covered a substantial amount of ground in the city and am discovering quite quickly that it is an easy place to walk in.  The distances aren't too great, there is a relatively dense concentration of things to do, but each neighborhood has a slightly different feel.  I can safely say that as of this morning I now know how all of the different areas I have been are interconnected, and feel comfortable wending my way through the streets of Sydney.

As for last night, after we saw Tiffany off to her new place, I settled in to prepare red beans and rice (as best I could given the odd array of ingredients available in Australia, as well as the incredibly limiting range of cookware we have in our terrace).  The meal turned out very well, Hannah and Abs seemed to enjoy it (even getting seconds), and while it didn't quite taste like its New Orleans antecedent I wasn't disappointed with it.

This afternoon Hannah, Abs, and I are going to take a trip over to Broadway to finish filling out or crockery and dishware needs.

Word of the Day: Heaps (standard pronunciation)
Usage:  Like yesterday, the word is not entirely foreign to us, but is used relatively liberally in Australia.  Meaning very or a lot, people here seem to be hard pressed to not use it in every sentence they speak.

Comments

Popular Posts