American Politics

Thursday turned out to be busy, but far more fulfilling than I was expecting.
The morning studio started with presentations by some Masters of Urban Planning students on their thoughts on the site.  We all agreed that it was nothing we didn't already know or hadn't already considered, but at least it was kept fairly succinct.  Afterwards we were given the brief for the project that we will be doing for the rest of the semester.  Again, no real new information but we were done by 10:30.

At 3:00 our first assignment was to be pinned up to be reviewed.  I had mentioned it a while ago, an intervention at the ATP.  I had a bit of reformatting to do (they sent out a template in the morning) and didn't know how to print at the Architecture School down here, so one of the people in my studio (Kim, a second year Masters student from Canberra) helped me through the process.  I was done by 11:00 or so and we settled in to kill some time before lunch.  We started chatting about American politics (and Australian politics) and how things such as healthcare, taxes, and the likes work in each country.  It was a riveting discussion and before we knew it it was 1:00!  We met up with two of his friends from another studio and walked to lunch at a cafe about ten minutes off campus.  Lunch was good, and it was nice to meet a few people in architecture.

I spent the hour after lunch running an errand and killing some time talking to Jason before everyone pinned up in the lobby at 3:00.  The intervention I did was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and while the visual was compelling enough I didn't think it was my best work.  After everything was up on the walls we had a chance to wander around and look at all of them.  Some were quite good interventions and there were some well executed images.  We all gathered back together and the professors selected five to discuss.  I wasn't expecting anything, but the second one they talked about was the one with the "gigantic boat."  I was pretty excited.  My intervention is below - if you don't quite get it don't be too concerned... Architects are really odd.

My final intervention image.

We were done with studio by 4:00 and were dismissed so the professors could talk over the projects and select a handful to go on exhibition.  I am not holding my breath, there were many more evocative than mine, but I will keep you posted.  I should probably head over there this morning to grab mine off the wall and see if there are any new developments.

When I returned home Tiffany came over so we could finalize our trip plans to New Zealand.  We had booked flights a week or so ago, and regrouped with an itinerary provided to me by a friend who had studied in New Zealand last year.  Armed with that information we made our accommodation bookings for the nine day sojourn we will be making in the not too distant future! After successfully completing all the bookings we ran a few errands on King Street before dinner.

Abs had a friend arriving from NZ for the weekend and Joe came over for the evening, so the six of us decided on pizza from Eagle Boys.  We ordered and went to go get the pizza a bit after 8:00.  There were some issues regarding them charging us, and as many of you know I am always keen for a good debate;  I had an enjoyable chat with the manager (I don't think he enjoyed it very much) and got some things sorted out.  I left quite fulfilled because I hadn't gotten to pull out my negotiation skills in a while.

After a nice dinner Abs' friend was tired from travelling so she went to bed and Abs went to go to some homework.  Joe, Hannah and I (no Oxford comma, I'm trying to conform Australia, but it changes the meaning of sentences...) talked until late into the night about American economics and politics.  It was quite a good talk and a great way to end a day chock full of things!

Comments

Popular Posts