Some things Familiar, Some so Foreign

This morning I took the bus into work.  Spent the beginning of the morning working away on a project, running between two computers.  At 10:30 we had a "team meeting" - the division I work for within City Planning has them fortnightly.  I was warned by a coworker that the meetings tended to be a bit dry, but, on the contrary I found it quite entertaining.
1 - There was cake - and the "cake schedule" took up the top third of the agenda - no joke.  The cake was incredible, I have to ask what it was.

2 - The equivalent of OSHA over here is seemingly very important in the office.  I noticed all the signs, and the thorough safety intro I had on the first day should have tipped me off, but the conversation that followed about office safety (don't trip on balls left on the floor - securely tether them to your desk) was quite entertaining.

3 - Office chairs. Lots of talk of office chairs.  Look for them on the black market soon.

4 - I was on the agenda - apparently I am "going well".

5 - The meeting was fairly succinct, despite all the banter, and the nine of us had a lively discussion before returning back to our desks, safely gather all the rogue balls, and wrangle our desk chairs.

After the meeting it was back to work until I headed out around 2:00 to walk back home to reset for class.  There are a few restaurant chains in Australia which are the same as back in the US, but go by different names.  For example, Burger King is Hungry Jacks.  On my walk to work, however, I pass a non-affiliated establishment called "King Burger."  For those of you in tune with mid to late 2000's MadTV you will appreciate why I appreciate it. I laugh every time I pass, and today finally remembered to take a picture to share.

I did not go in to see if Bon Qui Qui was working today...
I switched on the tv and it was one of the most surreal things to see an ad for Trombone Shorty (a local New Orleans artist) and his new CD - crazy how small the world is!  As well, the other day, there was an ad (for life insurance, I think) that used "Iko, Iko" - a traditional New Orleans song - I could not believe my ears!

I headed out across campus to my tutorial and then lecture.  The walk between the two takes me through the appropriately signed "graffiti tunnel."  It is similar to one that they had at Washington University in St. Louis, as well as many other schools across the US.

The graffiti tunnel at Uni Sydney.
I got out of class around 6:00 and headed across campus to swing by my house to drop my bag before meeting a friend on King Street (the main street by my house with lots and lots going on - food, music, shopping) to grab some sushi.  It was nice to get out for dinner and it was my first experience with a sushi restaurant which actually uses the little conveyor belt that you get to choose food off of.  It was really delicious and reasonably priced, considering the city we are in!

Comments

Popular Posts