New Friends

Saturday night after resting a bit from all the walking I headed over to Newtown, a short walk from my place, to a pub to meet up with Paula and Andrew and some of their friends.  We all sat around and had a great time getting to know each other, and a few of us decided to make some plans for Sunday breakfast.  I had my first Australian meat pie for dinner from Pie Face - it was delicious.

My pie from Pie Face - they come in many flavors and faces :)
Sunday morning seven of us struck out for Pettersham, a bit of a schlep from Darlington, to go to a place called (appropriately) Big Brekky.  While the service was a bit slow, the waiter was so entertaining some of us were on the verge of tears by the time our food came.  The food was reasonably priced for the portions, and everyone seemed to have enjoyed their meals.  I had French toast, which was delicious, and even ate all of the strawberries and pears that it came with - which is impressive since I don't like either of those in the US.

A performance at the Portuguese Festival.
What started as breakfast morphed into an adventure at a Portuguese festival that we stumbled across. 

From there we ended up at lunch and before we knew it it was 4:00.  Four of us ended up at someones house not far from my place and chatting turned into cooking dinner. While talking they discovered I had never had Vegemite, and I was quickly made some toast on which to have it.  From all the horror stories I had learned that as long as you know what you are doing (spread it very thinly) it shouldn't be that bad.  It smelled a bit like Worcestershire sauce, and while I am not likely to switch over from jam to vegemite, it was by far not the worst thing I have consumed in my life.

Sal making me my first vegemite sandwich.
I finally got back home at 10:00 or so and am ready for some sleep before the week!

Comments

Popular Posts