Winning Round Three

Fear not loyal readers - I am not trapped at LAX.

I apologize for going AWOL for a few days following my last post from Los Angeles, but I hit the ground running upon my return. After I wrote, I ended up having a nice long chat with a guy sitting next to me at the airport.  I had overheard him talking on the phone about filming and gathered that he worked in tv. After we had talked for a bit, I asked him his name (not recognizing him from tv) and then what shows he was in. He said his name was Colin and that he had been on the show Eureka.  Drawing a blank stare (I have heard of it, but never seen it), he said, "but you would probably know me as the Maytag repairman." That did the trick, and I ended up having quite a nice chat with Colin Ferguson who was en route to Atlanta to start filming the 'Vampire Diaries'.

The flight from Los Angeles to Atlanta was on a new, very nice, Delta plane - with a "full" flight, I seemed to have won the seat lottery, having the only empty seat on the plane happen to be the middle one next to me. I watched a few movies, snacked on a tapas box, and relaxed a bit - I knew I would hit the ground running, and from my past experiences knew that flying east was a lot harder on the body than flying west.

I landed at midnight and was home by 12:45 Tuesday morning. I cleaned up, began unpacking, and was in bed around 2:00.  I was up at 7:00 to head to work, where I worked a full day no worse for the wear. On Tuesday night I fully unpacked, did laundry, and caught up on chores, and was pleasantly surprised Wednesday when I realized I had managed to avoid jetlag. Score!

So, to wrap up, I suppose...

The trip was phenomenal and successful, to say the least. I met some wonderful people, now have a published paper in a double-blind peer-reviewed academic journal, traveled to Tasmania (bring my total number of Australian states and territories visited to 6 of 8). I managed to drive 1000km around on the wrong side of the road, down some pretty treacherous tracks in a fun little SUV (while getting about 8.75L/100km, from my best calculations and conversions, between 26 and 27mpg).

I plan to post once I have sorted through and labeled my pictures and created a few explanatory infographics about my trip. But, until next year, I suppose, 'ta' for now.

Comments

Popular Posts