Traveling Light(er)

I'm all packed up and getting ready to head out to the airport.

True to form, I didn't really start seriously packing until this morning - it didn't end up taking too terribly long to get everything organized and I've gone through my checklist to make sure I'm covered for the next two weeks.

I'll be going lighter than I have in the past; probably partially due to...

*Nothing like a little excitement before I leave town - mid-post the fire alarm went off in our building.  It's happened before, a few times in the middle of the night in the winter, and after quorums in the hall with our neighbors, always decided it was way too cold outside, and if there was actually a fire we would be able to get out of our patio door and down to ground level without much hassle.  This go around, I went out my door and saw five or six other people sticking their heads out of their doors.  We all shrugged at each other, and I headed down the hall to at least take advantage of the opportunity to meet some more of my neighbors.  A few of us decided that in the interest of self-preservation (we were concerned about the ear-splitting noise, not the unlikely fire) we would head outside.  We made it into the parking deck and walked up (we exited out the bottom floor) the ramp in time to go back inside the building as the alarm had stopped.  On our wander by the maintenance closet on our floor, we encountered three handymen, who said that it was set off because it was "really dusty" in the closet that they were futzing around in.  Never a dull moment.

And now it sounds as though the fire department has arrived...

And back to the regularly scheduled post:*

... the fact that this trip is only two weeks long, and also I made a conscious effort to keep the weight to a minimum so I might have a chance to bring back as many things (Tim Tams) as possible. Also, with all the travel, I'm trying to make my stuff as easy to schlep around as I can.

My checked bag is weighing in at just over 40 pounds, and I have managed to actually keep my carry-on to under 15, that is below the 7-kilo weight limit of Australian carriers (which I would like to point out I have NEVER followed, but I figured why test the rules too many times).



Mom is dropping by the apartment soon and we'll have some lunch before we head down to the airport.  I was going to take the train, but she insisted; I wasn't going to say no!

Comments

Popular Posts