Plugged-In

The area surrounding Gate 23 (including gate 25) at LAX is a scathing indictment of our reliance on electronic devices.  Rather than sitting in the chairs (of which there are many) people (myself included) are huddled around the columns at the periphery of the airport, sitting on the floor, next to trashcans, nursing our phones and computers, juicing them up with electricity.  There aren't many outlets - and other stare, enviously, circling like hawks for the chance to snag an outlet.

The good news is that there are AC plugs and USB plug at each seat on the plane, so I will be able to charge my laptop and phone simultaneously while in flight.  Hooray!

The rest of the flight into LA was nothing of note.  There were some pretty views of mountains and deserts and downtown LA on descent into the city.






Also, while thumbing through the in-flight magazine, they had a section about a celebrity chef (I think it was John Besh, maybe) and his favorite places in New Orleans. I was very pleasantly shocked when for breakfast he recommended the Pagoda Café, which was just opened recently by a former professor at the Tulane School of Architecture.  While I never had him directly, I did ask his assistance on my thesis as he happens to be from Sydney! I went there for breakfast when I was there in December and I was exploring the Lower Ninth Ward (with another professor of mine) for the lecture I will be giving in Auckland.  I will agree that it is an excellent place to go, and Dan is a fantastic guy!


When I arrived at LAX I had to grab my bag from the carousel in terminal 5 and make the trek between parking decks, across 18 lanes of traffic (divided 3-6 PARKING DECKS 6-3) to get to terminal 2 where I rechecked my bag with Air New Zealand.  For anyone that complains about Atlanta Airport, I really don't understand it... At least in Atlanta all the gates are in one building, you don't have to run around outside and go back through security.  Though the weather was nice, just not the scenery!


Seems like a pretty full flight this evening, but I am hoping that maybe I will luck out and not have anyone in the middle seat on my row. Less than two hours to boarding!

Comments

Popular Posts