HBA

At my ‘gate’ at Hobart ‘International’ Airport. Not quite as rinky-dink as Launceston, but really not that much bigger.  I believe there are 5 ‘gates’ (aka doors leading out to the tarmac) with one security checkpoint. As far as I know, the only international flights that use this airport fly to Antarctica during the summer months, ferrying researchers.

As is the Australian fashion, even though the plane boards in half an hour, very few people are here. The blasé attitude toward domestic travel here always surprises me a bit.

I got the car returned just fine (a bit muddy from the travel, but physically no worse for the wear).  All in all I drove it 982.7km, that is just over 610 miles, on quite the Tasmanian adventure. I had a fantastic time, well worth the trip, and have decidedly checked off another Australian state. I’ve only two more states, Western Australia and South Australia, and three capital cities (Perth, WA; Adelaide, SA; and Darwin, capital of the Northern Territory). Admittedly, I have probably seen a fair bit more of Tassie, both in total and percentagewise) than any other state (ACT – their Washington, DC – notwithstanding).



I’m looking forward to being in Sydney, though I don’t look forward to having to deal with my bags all day in the city before I head north to my friend’s in Cammeray (on the north side of the Harbour). My plans as of now are to head straight to Town Hall for a coffee and bite with my old coworkers – head down George Street to Paddy’s Market for a bit of shopping (time permitting), and then head to Wynyard to catch the bus up to Cammeray for the evening. Sydney has transitioned to a tap-enabled card for transit, so that will be a bit of an adjustment from the paper tickets I am used to using on CityRail and the buses. Progress is good, so no complaints.

Comments

Popular Posts