Kia Ora

I've been told 'Kia Ora' a lot in the past 24 hours.  Maori (that is the indigenous peoples of NZ and their language) for 'be well/healthy', it is used as the greeting when you arrive in New Zealand (and before every announcement onboard the plane)...

Sitting in my hotel in downtown Auckland, getting cleaned up, having a cuppa, and sorting out my morning.

The plane landed just past 6:00AM, and it didn’t take too terribly long to deplane and get to Customs. All the while, I was able to use the wifi at the airport to communicate with everyone back stateside, which was very convenient.  I was excited to discover that the US was added to the list of countries (last time I was here it was just NZ and Aussie) that could scan their own passports.  While that meant I didn’t get a stamp, it also meant that I didn’t have to stand in line, and made quick work of getting out to grab my bag, pass through the biohazard scanner, and catch the Airbus into the city.

Maori carvings on the way to Customs.
There were only five of us on the bus, and it wasn’t too long of a trip, even at morning peak hour.  There were two girls from Boston who I ended up having a nice chat with.  Turned out they were visiting the North Island for a bit and then heading over to Australia for holiday.  Not unlike the trip I took with Tiffany two years ago from Auckland to Wellington, I was able to help them plan some things in Auckland and along the way.

I got to the hotel and I was told there was a room on the third floor already available or I could wait for the room that was supposed to be mine on the ninth floor (really 4th and 10th- they subscribe to the existence of a ‘ground floor’).  I opted for the ability to check in now, as I figured I would prefer five hours of my time than the prospect of a better view.  The ability to clean up from the trip and settle in for the day outweighed the view.

The hotel is a block from the Harbour, next door to Britomart, I remember this area well – nothing has really changed.

I’ve now showered, and am now having a cuppa (with the cream in the fridge – gosh, how I have missed this culture!).  When that’ all done, I will strike out to walk while the weather is cooperative and maybe find some brekkie.  The omelet and yogurt on the plane at 4:00AM likely won’t carry me through the day!

On the plane I watched Monuments Men, which I thought was pretty good. Now I’m watching the news, waiting for updates on the USA World Cup game, and getting ready to head out.

Comments

Popular Posts