Off to Auckland

Just finished up dinner and am wrapping up watching The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I’m quite impressed with the plane we are on – a brand new 777-300ER, delivered to Air NZ just a few weeks ago.  It features the fancy multi-colored lighting system created for the 787s and an impressive entertainment system – Kia Ora (it’s Maori, the native language of NZ).  Before I flew, I read very good reviews of Air NZ, and they seem to ring true.

Kia Ora offers a wide selection of on-demand movies and shows (not unlike other airlines).  But in addition, it has menus, on-demand food and drink selection that will be brought to you at any point in the flight, and many other interactive features.

There are also USB and A/C plugs at each seat.  The seats are quite comfortable (for economy).  Rather fortuitously, the central section next to my row was not full, so while our three seats were full, the person in the middle was able to move, freeing up space for me and the guy on the aisle to spread out a bit.

Dinner was beef with some potatoes and carrots in gravy, a salad with chickpeas, tomatoes, capsicum and what seemed to be apples, and some form of strawberry tart. I had a soda water and some merlot to accompany; while it was no business class meal, it wasn’t particularly bad.  I’ll be interested to see how the on-demand snacks are later in the flight.

I had pulled out my Australian plug for my laptop as I assumed the plane would be outfitted with those types of plugs.  I’ll admit to a moment of panic when I realized that the prong onfiguarion was not accommodating, and worried for a split second that NZ and Aussie plugs weren’t the same.  However, after thinking about it a bit, I realized that the plugs on the plane must be standard to Boeing installation, and actually accommodate British and American plugs.  So, no crisis here.  Thank goodness Boeing is an American company!

Now I might sleep for a bit and then do some work later on in the flight.

Comments

Popular Posts