Early / What's in a name?

Standing on platform 4 of Town Hall train station waiting on the 1:08 to Waterfall via (vy-uh in this case) Banksia.*  Keep in mind, these are two of the least exotic names of the Illawarra line.  The train that just left the platform was a Cronulla via Kogarah and after my train a Bomaderry/Nowra via Wolli Creek will come.  Last night I went out to Jannali, passing through such stations as Allawah, Mortdale, and Oatley (but not going as far as Loftus, Engadine, Kirrawee, Gymea, Caringbah, or Woolooware [and keep in mind, this is only one of the many lines that comprise CityRail]) - I get quite a bit of enjoyment out of the names in Australia, among the best to be found while riding the train.

Anyways, I spent the morning in the city.  I had a meeting at Wynyard for 10:00, so headed to the train before 8:55 (with the thought of catching the 9:04, but knowing a 9:17 would be fine too). As I crossed the street to the station (at 9:02, mind you) I watched my train pull out from the station.  I think many Sydneysiders reading this would disagree, but I really find that the trains run on time or even EARLY (which can be annoying, in and of itself)...

I took the train to Martin Place and walked over to Wynyard, finishing up by 10:45.  I took a walk down to Circular Quay to check out the new installations at the Museum of Contemporary Art and took advantage of the wifi to talk to the family on Skype.

The Opera House and Harbour from the rooftop terrace of the MCA.
From the MCA I headed up the street to meet Amanda for a flat white at Australia Square.  After coffee I walked back to Wynyard, caught a train one stop down to Town Hall, and went down to platform 4 where I started this post.

Now, to catch up from yesterday... Last night I had a fantastic birthday dinner at Janene's house with her family and friends (the same people as last year). Blake (who I share a birthday with) chose pizza for dinner, which was pretty delicious, and we had a good night of it chatting and eating.

I had caught the train down to Jannali from Central after spending the afternoon in the city.  I had a great tour of UNSW and lunch with Paul.

The Red Centre Building at UNSW - home of the Faculty of the Built Environment.
 
After lunch I decided to head into the city, walking all the way up Anzac Parade (about three miles - 5k) to Flinders and onto Oxford Street, passing Reko Rennie's building (http://www.cityartsydney.com.au/cityart/projects/redfernterrace.asp).

 
From there I went down past Hyde Park, and across the city to Broadway to swing by Coles before catching the train.

It was a lot of walking yesterday, but it was very nice weather and I got to see a few things.
The rest of the day I will spend at home and then meeting Hannah, my old housemate for dinner.


*Full disclosure, I time stamp and locate these posts from where I start them. For example, I continued to write this on the train and didn't actually post it until I was back in Arncliffe (easier to add photos and review the post on the computer than on my phone)... Just a glimpse into my process.

Comments

Popular Posts