Cricket

Just hanging around a bit this morning before heading out for lunch with a friend.  In the background I have some old Australian tv show on in the background - Skippy the Bush Kangaroo. Imagine Leave it to Beaver but with a kangaroo that lives with them.

After I wrote last on my birthday, I headed back into the city to stop into the mid-year masters graduate exhibition at a gallery in the Rocks.  I had spoken with some of the Sydney Uni professors last week, and they had told me to come by for the exhibit opening party.  I took the train to Circular Quay and the gallery, a converted terrace on George Street opposite the MCA, was packed with people.  For those from New Orleans, imagine having the final architecture exhibition in the Octavia gallery.  I looked over the projects (about 40 in total) and caught up with Paul and Jennifer.  After I had my fill, I struck out down George back into the city through the bustle of Friday night to meet up with Candice who was leaving the office.

We met up and headed over en masse (with dozens of people from Candice's office - some of whom I had met a few weeks back) to the Sussex, a block over from the office.  We stayed there until 9:30 and then trekked down to Bungalow, a bar/club at King Street Wharf, where the party continued until early morning.  Candice and I got a cab to go meet up with Amanda and Geri in Surry Hill (they had been at a concert), but left almost immediately after catching up with them at the Columbian (and grabbing a bite at Mad Mex) to walk to Town Hall to catch the last train out to Arncliffe for the night.

Yesterday morning we had a special treat planned - brunch at Big Brekky, where I had first hung out with the girls and gotten to know them last year. Amanda and Geri met up with us for our 11:00 booking, and we enjoyed a nice brekky out in the sun of the courtyard. I had eggs on toast with a huge serving of garlic mushrooms and avocados (mom is probably wondering who this is, because this isn't the son she knows!) with a big pot of chai.  We wrapped up just after noon and headed back home, with the girls getting ready to go out to Homebush to see Disney on Ice.

Meanwhile, I got my affairs in order and headed to meet a friend for a coffee in Newtown.  In what many would think an odd circumstance, due to planned track work on the weekend which cut services on many of the other lines, my line happened to be serving extra stations that the trains from Arncliffe don't normally stop at.  It worked decidedly in my favor, allowing me to get off at Erskineville and head directly into Newtown without changing trains.

Platforms 1 and 4 of Erko were out of commission due to this contraption relaying the stone track bed.

I was a few minutes early after getting off the train at Erko, so wandered a bit around some small streets a block on King on Missenden - it was a very cute street...


The friend I met, Kim, was someone I was in architecture with at Sydney Uni.  We had a nice time catching up, and before we knew it, it was pushing 4:00.  I headed back to the train to head out to Arncliffe.

The girls got home around 5:30, and we arranged to meet some people out for a quiet night at the Golden Barley Hotel.  The group comprised of my journo (journalist in Australian) friends (Rick of The Australian, Matt of The Sun-Herald [I think], and Bridie of The Guardian [who is of particular note given that last week there was a bit of media storm surrounding her when Tony Abbott, the opposition leader told her to "calm down" during a press conference]) and a few others.  We had a nice time, but the best part was that Rick explained cricket to me.  I then got to appreciate the Ashes, the biannual competition between the UK and Australian teams, which was going into day four.  We watched for the hours we were at the pub, and while I am not entirely sold on it, it was cool to understand what was going on. We didn't make too late of a night of it and were home around 1:00.

But, now I'm going to strike out to Surry Hill for lunch.

Comments

Popular Posts