A Rainy Day in Paradise

Happy July (well, in Australia, anyway).

Just polished of a short flat white (Australian coffee lingo will never get old) at Starbucks.  I burned through the half hour of free wifi that came with the drink adding a couple posts to the blog that I had written from Brizzy.  Unfortunately I didn’t get through all of them.

Anyways, it has been a pretty bleak day weather-wise here on the (not so) Gold Coast.  I got a rather snide response from the concierge this morning when I enquired about things to see as I wandered around (I said I was going to walk over to the beach to look around – “the beach? In THIS weather?”)  With seemingly not much else to see aside from gimmicky things like ‘The Haunted House,’ ‘The Wax Museum,’ and Ripley’s, I walked to the beach, snapped some pictures, walked along the Esplanade and to the ‘mall’ – a ragtag collection of pretty dumpy stores with bowling and the ‘Timezone’ upstairs and the Woolies I went to last night downstairs.  I wandered for a bit, happy to not be getting soaked, and then braved the outside, walking a bit to explore Surfers Paradise (the area of the coast I am on) and wandered through some of the nicer stores as I went.  I ended up buying a messenger bag (a purchase I had been agonizing over for many years too long – a disproportionate amount of time considering the final purchase) thanks to the end of financial year sale at FCUK (admittedly I am very, very far from either France or the UK – the namesakes of the store), as the price and product were right.

I headed back to my hotel to collect my lappie (yes, they really call laptops lappies), my notepad, and a writing implement with my intended destination as Starbucks so I could use wifi.  The mission was a success (except for the fact that I didn’t get everything posted – the pictures took too long), and now I am going to find lunch.  It appears to have stopped raining, so all positive news from this end of the world.

Comments

Popular Posts