Busy Birthday

Just sitting down for a an afternoon tea and tim tam or two (or, let's be honest, more) unwinding from a busy afternoon spent in and around the city.

Since I wrote yesterday, I came back to the house, stopping by the local bakery to grab a cream lamington (it was, after all, almost my birthday) for an afternoon snack.


In the evening I headed back into the city to meet my old housemate, Hannah, for dinner.  I took the train to Martin Place, walking back a bit to the Strand Arcade (a late Victorian shopping arcade built in 1891) for dinner at La Rosa (recommended by Amanda).


Dinner was great, and afterwards we headed over to Sweeneys, one of the remaining historic hotels (remember, hotels are bars) left in the heart of the city (located next door to Town Hall) to go to the rooftop bar for a schooner.  It was quite crowded, but we snagged a table and chatted, parting ways at Town Hall station around 9:00.

Today, I headed out of the house around 11:00, catching the 11:17 (which was running a minute or two late - worked to my benefit), making a lucky cross-platform transfer between two trains in the station at once (thanks to the late train) to Wynyard.  I headed down to the Shelley Street to drop something off at Candice's office before heading over to Westfield on Pitt Street to meet my City of Sydney coworkers for lunch.  Unintentionally, we seemed to have started a tradition (a dangerous thing to do, considering there is as good a chance as any I will be 10,000 miles away next year) - Cindy had made a booking for Sky Phoenix (yum cha) for the office, which happened to be the exact thing we had done one year ago for my birthday.  We had a great, filling lunch, and after I headed back to Town Hall House with a few of them to chat before catching the train from Town Hall out to St. Leonards (across the Harbour) for a meeting.

The trip provided a new experience as far as interacting with the Harbour Bridge.  While I have ridden over it in a car, walked across it many times, taken a ferry underneath it, and even climbed it, I had never taken a train over it (now all that is left is to bike over it via the dedicated bike path on the converted western footpath).



My meeting went well, and I returned to Arncliffe (having to wait for my train quite a bit at Town Hall) for a bit.  This evening I am heading back out to the city (Circular Quay) for a Sydney Uni Faculty of Architecture event near the MCA, and then out for my birthday with the gang.

Not a bad birthday!

Comments

Popular Posts