Down to the Wire

At this point I should have been packed and be asleep, with the original plan of me returning stateside today.  However, in the eleventh hour I was able to get a hold of my friend back in the US who is managing my ticket, and it has now been changed to Wednesday, giving me a few more days to tie up some loose ends.

After I wrote, I headed into the city on the train.  Because of the trackwork on the other lines, the train was pretty packed (with the Illawarra line being the only one still serving the city because it runs independent from the City Circle).  When we pulled into Central, the platform was packed ten deep with people trying to get toward Town Hall - it was the most crowded I have ever seen a CityRail station.

From Central I headed toward Surry Hill, purposely walking via a small laneway to pass by "Small House." Designed by Domenic Alvaro of Woods Bagot as his own house, it received numerous awards for its design.


I met up with my friend at Taylor Square and we headed to lunch at Kantine (which was quite good). Afterwards, I headed back to Central and fought the crowds on the platform to get back out to Arncliffe.  We spent the late arvo a bit of tv before heading out for the evening.

We met up with Bridie, Rick, and Alice for an early dinner at Japone Sushi on King Street in Newtown (fantastic) before walking up the street to Dendy to see The Heat, Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarty's new movie.  To give you an idea of Australian costs, the tickets were $18 each (which everyone called "cheap")... We all enjoyed the movie; while crass it kept us laughing to the point of tears - well worth the $18!

After getting back I tuned into the Ashes (the cricket game) for the last day.  With Australia only down by a few runs, the game recessed for lunch (silly time zone differences in the UK).  Things were quite tense, and in the end, after a questionable call, Australia lost its last wicket just 14 runs short of a victory.

With the game over around midnight, it was time to sort out my travel plans. I got in touch with my friend and as I mentioned before, things are now all sorted out for my return on Wednesday.

Now, time for bed!




Comments

Popular Posts