A Nonstop Day

Today has been a radical departure from the usual lazy days of Sydney.  With the time change I couldn't sleep in until even 8:00 before I decided to stop fighting the sun coming through my window and just be productive - probably a good thing.
I started the morning hanging laundry out to dry.  I know why Americans use dryers... Hanging clothes is tedious and time consuming - no doubt the majority of my countrymen would never devote 45 minutes actively dealing with laundry.  I had a quick breakfast and settled in to finish up a paper due tomorrow.  I got it successfully submitted (electronically) before rushing off to architecture for a shop safety introduction class.  It was interesting for the sheer fact that the school has a wood shop, a metal shop, and a plastic shop, four 3D printers - one of which prints in color - and three laser cutters (including one that has a bed that would fit an entire sheet of chip board - Tulanians, eat your heart out); but, much of the equipment (e.g. the table saws) are not allowed to be used by students.  While Tulane lacks 70% of the machinery that Sydney has, I felt it was silly that students (who are anywhere from 18-30+) are coddled to the point of not being allowed to use a saw.  Not too surprising, given how hellbent these people are on safety (as previously mentioned) in the workplace - I suppose it is a cultural thing.

I spent the subsequent hour printing out my history paper and working on my architecture paper (also due tomorrow).  I ran an errand and made my way over to the main quadrangle to submit the hard copy of my history paper - happy to have one assignment off my plate.  I then spent the last remaining hour before my tutorial working on the architecture paper at a table outside of Manning, one of the student centers on campus, looking out over one of the quads and enjoying the nice weather.

Classes ran from 4:00-6:00 and then it was back across campus to the architecture building where I worked with my group for almost two hours to finish up the architecture paper and format it - two things off my plate!

Abs and I made dinner and I took a bit of a breather before delving into the final task due tomorrow... I'll keep that one under wraps for now.  I will say it is progressing well and I will send it off before I go to bed.

Studio promises to be a full-on day tomorrow, but I know I have a long vacation to look forward to as my reward.  Tomorrow night Amanda, the Newcastle girl, is having a few people over for dinner.  Friday will be filled with cooking, possibly the Royal Easter Show (a big deal down here - basically a massive country fair near the Olympic Park).  I hope to relax a bit this weekend before Tiffany and I head off to New Zealand on Sunday for nine action packed days!

Comments

Popular Posts