Culinary Deficiencies

Before you read, know that this is a tongue-in-cheek critique of a very small segment of Australian life... but it is based in the fact that there are some things that are seriously lacking on the
I am taking a short break from designing my building to bring to trial a new segment which I decided was necessary when I went to the grocery store today.  I have waffled on names for the following, here are a few:
  • Reasons the US Should Invade Australia...
  • You Might be Happy, But You Would be Happier With...
  • America > Australia
At the grocery today I was wandering in search of a healthier alternative to chips to munch on.  For two months I haven't really snacked, but I am now at the point in the semester where the work will start adding up, and I will need some late-night hunger satiating companions.  I knew what I wanted, and I knew from past searches I wouldn't find it.  Pretzels.  How does an entire country, which calls itself civilised, not eat pretzels?  I found a very, very small selection of them in the tiny Jewish section of Coles (what, the Jewish section?), but was not about to drop some serious shekels on pretzels that looked iffy at best.  I asked some Aussie friends and my roommates, and it seems that it is true.  Australians don't eat pretzels.  As one said "they taste like poopyshit." I say they have only had bad pretzels and it is the duty of every pretzel loving American to bring pretzels to these poor, deprived people.  President Obama, I say an airdrop is in order!

 
Along with pretzels, here are just a few things that I miss, and will eat ravenously upon my return to the U.S. of A.
  • pretzels
  • Mexican food (a box of Old El Paso tacos for $6.50 does not a Mexican aisle make!)
  • Jiff peanut butter (especially crunchy)
  • Reasonably priced cereal (pretty much the only stuff they have is $7 imported Special-K)
  • Bagels
  • Reese's (you can get a pack, two Reese's, of them for $6 at the import store in Haymarket)
  • Pop Tarts ($12 at the import store)
 
But really, I just want pretzels.

 
Now, to be fair, I have to give some credit; there are three things that I have discovered that are uniquely Australian (I say that, but all three are now imported to the US, proving how much more worldly we are ;) ).
  • Tim Tams (though there are more flavours here... the US needs to get on that)
  • Jaffas (I am a massive sucker for chocolate and orange together - I have not had them here yet, I was actually introduced by my boss back in the US who brought them to work, but saw them in the store today and was tempted to buy them)
  • Bundaberg (Ginger beer or Peachee - both are divine... but my first time drinking both of them were outside of Australia - UK and US, respectively)

 
But really, I just want pretzels.

Comments

Popular Posts