Good Food, Bad Roof

This morning I was excited about doing a post about how great the day went with some really awesome meals.  Unfortunately, some structural issues with our house have put a bit of a damper on the day.  But, before I get into that, I still want to talk about food - because food is good.
As you may recall, yesterday I went to the grocery and bought quite a bit of stuff. 

The morning started off with a bit of carb loading on delicious bread that I bought.  First, I had a thick slice of "fresh high top multigrain" bread with butter and honey.  The bread was fresh, as promised, and was soft and delicious.  With that I also cut off a piece of the "Boston bun" - a large, round raisin bread topped with coconut icing.  Prevalent in Australia and New Zealand, and usually eaten at tea time, it has nothing to do with Boston, and there seems to be no clear answer why it is called thusly.  Whatever, it is also delicious.

Fresh bread and part of the Boston bun.
After my carb-y breakfast I hung out my laundry that I had put on when I woke up.  I am finally getting the hang of things as regards drying things on a line (pun intended a bit).  The rest of the morning was a blur of errands all over campus (most of which was a wild goose chase that I have yet to conclude), before returning home for lunch.  I was really, really excited for lunch.

I had picked up a pack of kangaroo kebabs in chili-lime marinade, and cooked them up in a pan as I prepared a salad for the meat to go on.  I had a massive mound of field greens, cut up a carrot, some pineapple (I bought a whole pineapple yesterday; that was fun to cut up), and a small red onion, and added some walnuts.  Once the meat was cooked (or a bit overcooked) I popped a bit of it on the salad and covered the entire thing in balsamic vinaigrette.  It was a fantastic lunch, though I did learn that I should cook the kangaroo a bit less (I had been told to leave it more on the rare side but failed at that and it got a bit tough).  The kangaroo flavour wasn't too strong, especially with the marinade, and except for a bit of chewiness with some of the pieces, it turned out well.

Kangaroo salad.
The sweet of the pineapple went well to balance the hot of the red onion, and I was satisfied when my plate was empty.  After lunch I shared the last of the Boston bun with Hannah and Kayla as they were rushing off to class - the four of us demolished that thing; it didn't even make it 18 hours in the house.

I did a bit of work in the afternoon and then had my tutorial and lecture in the evening.  All in all it would have been a busy day as it was, but... (and this is the disgustingly abbreviated version) this morning it was discovered that we have some slight roof issues in the back of the house which are causing some structural issues where Hannah's room is.  She was given until the weekend to move out, so things are a bit chaotic as we try to deal with housing and all those sorts of things.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out as we have some very unhappy parties at the moment.

The long version involves many e-mails, a few visits from housing, and a lot of stress on all parts. We're hoping for the best!

Now a bit more architecture work before bed...

Comments

Popular Posts