Movie Marathon

I am sitting at my gate at LAX after a fourteen hour plane trip from Sydney and a jaunt through Customs, Border Control, and security, waiting to board the same plane that I just got off of to continue to Atlanta.
The flight was completely full, and I was lucky to be in a row with two congenial individuals.  I sat on the aisle, and next to me was a girl from southern Mississippi who spent the last two months in Sydney doing some modeling work.  Beside her was an older woman from the northern beaches of Sydney travelling to Las Vegas to visit her son who is travelling in the US.  We had nice chats throughout the journey.

With fourteen hours I should have slept, but just took the time to watch six movies and consume a few meals... My time was spent something like this:

Watch The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - a pretty good movie.
Watch In Bruges - a pretty good movie.
Eat lunch (or dinner, depending on the time zone) of chicken with veg, salad, a roll, and bread pudding(ish) - not a bad meal.

Lunch, or dinner... possibly breakfast.
Watch The Muppets - a very good movie.
Watch Ned Kelly - I suppose I was feeling in an Australian mood, not a bad movie.
Eat a snack - a chicken and tomato sandwich.
Watch Wanderlust - an interesting movie.
Watch 30 Minutes or Less - a pretty stupid movie, but entertaining enough.
Eat breakfast of frittata, fruit, a croissant with butter and jam, and more than a few cups of white tea - enough to carry me over to the next flight.

Brekkie.
Watch a few episodes of '30 Rock' and 'Big Bang Theory' - enough to get me to landing in LAX.

After deplaning, we walked for a long, long time up and down stairs and winding corridors to Passport Control.  After waiting for an absurd amount of time (due in part to lack of people working and slowness in processing people), I finally made it through and grabbed my bags before walking through customs and immediately rechecking my bags.  I then proceeded upstairs to join a massive queue for security for terminal five.  Words I would associate with the experience would be far from 'speedy' and 'efficient', and forty-five minutes later I was finally through security and trudging all the way back to the gate that I got off the plane from.

All the while, keep in mind, I was carrying a 40lb duffel bag and my bookbag, along with the jackets and roll of drawings.  It was a juggling act and quite a workout.

I am happy to be back at the gate, and can't wait to board this over-booked flight three seats away from where I just spent the last fourteen or so hours.  I will not miss LAX, and if I make this trip again in the future I might consider taking Qantas out of Dallas.

Comments

Popular Posts