Moved In

I am at my desk in my new room looking out the window into the backyard of my hundred year old row house with the sun and breeze pouring in.  Orientation this morning was entertaining and informative, and I have met a few new friends.  I was able to get my bags from Jimmy’s office a bit ago (they were delivered there this morning), so I am all set to face the semester.  The rest of the day promises some errands – grocery shopping for some essentials, a trip to the bank, etc.  The weather has been pretty warm and very humid, but now with shorts in my possession, things should be alright.

After our little break in the early afternoon yesterday, Jimmy and I took the bus over to Bondi Beach and walked along the coast to Tamarama Beach to meet up with some of his friends.  I ended up exploring a half mile of rocky coastline between Tamarama and Bondi with an exchange student from BU (met through some of Jimmy’s friend) and an Aussie police officer (one of Jimmy’s friends).  It was an arduous climb at times, but we had a blast and managed to kill a few hours before reuniting with those who were lying out or swimming.
We continued the evening with a trip across the city to Chinatown in Haymarket, and grabbed dinner at a hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant (nine of us crammed at a tiny table).  The food was delicious and the company was spectacular.  After dinner we wandered back through Chinatown and got Chinese fried donuts filled with custard – the perfect ending to the meal.  From there, we disbanded a bit, and I ended up hanging out for a bit with some BU students in their dorm (they have their own school and dormitories set up in Sydney for a large program they run) and then finally out for a bit before heading back to Jimmy’s for some sleep.
Looking back, I cannot believe how much I fit into my first day in Sydney!

Comments

Popular Posts