Hot Weather and Barbeques

I just got back from a walk exploring the neighborhood to the south of my house (opposite of the Uni).  I stayed in for most of the afternoon – the temperature got well into the 90s, and the humidity made me reconsider my plan to tour around downtown a bit.  An afternoon rain cooled things off (a bit), and I was able to discover a large market and lots of really cool galleries housed in a massive abandoned rail yard from the 1880s as well as some restaurants and a bit more of the Uni campus.

This morning was filled with completing registration and obtaining my Uni ID, as well as the joys of finally getting my credentials to allow me to get on the internet.  Following the activities of the morning, there was a barbeque hosted by the campus fitness and recreation center, where Tiffany and I enjoyed some grilled sausage (eaten on white bread, not a bun) and some delicious apples.
When I was relaxing in my room this afternoon, our Kiwi roommate happened into the house.  We chatted for a bit; his name is Abs, and he is a first year student in aviation engineering (or something along those lines).  He ended up moving from the downstairs room to the upstairs front room (the nicest in the house) after talking with the housing people.  After that conversation, it seems that, for the moment, it will just be the three of us!
Tonight Hannah and I are going to a barbeque hosted by the Sydney Uni Union (I suppose now would be a good time to explain that while the school is actually called “The University of Sydney,” colloquially, Sydneysiders [yes, that is really what people from Sydney are called] refer to it as Sydney Uni or Sydney University).  Other than that, I should probably unpack a bit more and get my room settled as O-Week (Orientation Week – which is supposed to be a really big deal) starts tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts