Someone's birthday

Getting ready for bed after a very busy long holiday weekend; thanks to the Queen's Birthday, most of Australia had Monday off. The only thing is, it's not Lizzie's birthday at all; she was born on 21 April.

In fact, the monarch's birthday hasn't actually been celebrated on the reigning monarch's birthday in Australia since 1936. Rather, most states established the celebration in June as it was far enough spaced for other existing public holidays. This isn't that strange in the Commonwealth, oddly enough, as the UK also celebrated the birthday this weekend.

You may have noticed that I said "most" when it comes to Australia. That is because two of the six states (plus two territories) of Australia actually celebrate the Queen's birthday on different days. In Queensland, where Brisbane is, the holiday is celebrated in October to align with the big footy (both National Rugby League and Australian Football League) finals. In Western Australia, where Perth is, the holiday is celebrated at different points every year, decided on by the Governor of the state.

Whatever the reason, it was nice to have a three day weekend.

Of course, I didn't let a free extra day off go to waste, spending a lot of time out and about on the weekend. Following, not surprisingly either, a busy week.

Friday night I caught up with Soph, one of the post-docs from Sydney Uni who I had dinner with last weekend. The evening followed a busy day of networking, which started in the morning at Sydney Uni when I met with an engineer whose research revolves around the impacts of transport on urban neighbourhoods.

An American transplant himself, he and I had met at a Committee for Sydney event a few weeks back. After an hour long chat about his research, I had to hurry into the city for a coffee with another person I had met at the same event. This time, the person I met with was an urban and transport planner who has worked on a range of projects in Sydney.

From coffee, I rushed over to Barangaroo for a very quick lunch with Candice before heading to work meetings for the rest of the afternoon. While it was a bit of a whirlwind Friday (I covered about 18km/11.2mi on foot), it was good prep for Saturday.

Rushing past the International Convention Centre at Darling Harbour on my way to Barangaroo.
Saturday morning I was awoken by the blast of a steam whistle; while Central Station and the rail lines are close by, old-timey train noises are the usual sounds that come from the rail yards. While I thought it was a curious occurrence, I didn't give it much though.

I spent the morning and early afternoon getting through a book for my research, before using a break in the rain to go on a quick run. While running down the streets past Central Station, I was surprised to see buses dating back to the 1950s and 1960s rolling around on the streets of the city. Being a major transport nerd (that is what my PhD is in, after all), I figured I would need to check out Central on the way back home from the run.

A London bus from the 1950s outside of Central Station.

It turns out that annually on the June long weekend, Sydney plays host to the NSW Transport Heritage Expo. The event brings historic buses and trains to the heart of the city for people to ride on and tour. While I had things to do in the afternoon, and evening plans, I made a mental note to come back and see more of the expo later in the weekend.

In the evening, I headed into the city to grab dinner with a friend and the catch a screening that was part of the Sydney Film Festival. The one we caught The Miseducation of Cameron Post was playing at the State Theatre. The movie was fantastic, but the true star was the theatre itself—a stunning 1929 gem which retained its historic feel even moreso than the Capitol Theatre where I saw Mamma Mia.

Inside the magnificent State Theatre in the CBD.

Sunday I grabbed brunch with a friend in Darlinghurst and while we had plans to go to the Australian Museum for the afternoon, we ended up skipping out due to a very long line (with many small children) on account of the long weekend. Instead, we took the chance to soak in some sun on a walk across the city and around the waterfront of Darling Harbour and Pyrmont to the west of the CBD.

The towers of Barangaroo and the CBD from Pyrmont.

In the evening, I had promised friends I would cook up a New Orleans (inspired) meal, including red beans that I had brought all the way from New Orleans. The meal turned out well, and it was nice to be able to entertain a bit.

Dinner of red beans and rice, green beans, and glazed Brussels sprouts.

This morning, I ended up heading up to Mosman to visit my friend Nathan and take a stroll along the waterfront, enjoying the weather (which has finally decided to be nice for an extended period of time) and some nice views of the city.


Traversing the hills of Mosman, with views of the city across the Harbor.

Following the morning walk I came back to the city and worked at home for a few hours before heading over to Central to check out the Transport Expo.

After planning all weekend to ride the buses, it turns out I timed things exactly wrong, missing the last bus journey by a few minutes. However, I did get to see the last steam train excursion leave the station, and was able to pick up information for the Sydney Train Museum, the Sydney Bus Museum, and the Sydney Tram Museum—you can bet I plan to visit all of them soon.



Some of the heritage transport on display this weekend.
While I didn't get to ride the buses, or celebrate the Queen's real birthday, I did get to cap off the weekend with some enjoyable birthday-related festivities. I spent this evening down in the Shire for Jas's birthday party. It was nice to catch up with the family, and a great way to start off the week!

Last week included the first game of the annual State of Origin rugby matchup, where top footballers from New South Wales and Queensland return to their home states to form a team and compete in a best-of-three series. The Blues (from NSW) squeaked out an ugly victory against the Maroons from Queensland. Hopefully the next two games will be a bit better, and the Blues will redeem themselves after a very abysmal dozen years of play.

Also last week, I got to attending an even roundtable focusing on the creation of vibrant civic spaces as Sydney grows. It was a very interesting chat and it was hosted in a venue overlooking the Vivid lights of Circular Quay.

The view of Circular Quay from the roundtable.

Besides the busy weekend, football, and more Vivid lights, I was kept busy with work and research last week. No doubt this week will be another busy, but fun, one.


Comments

Popular Posts