A wet weekend

Much of the weekend here has been a wash, with drizzle, cooler temperatures (10C/50F) and consistent winds (45kph/25mph) making outdoor activity a less than thrilling prospect.

I have spent most of the weekend inside, doing a bit of Netflix binge watching and generally being unproductive; sometimes the best way to enjoy a weekend! I did make it out yesterday for afternoon tea with a group of friends, and got to enjoy some pretty spectacular views of Sydney from one of their places in North Sydney.

Looking across the Harbour toward the CBD, with the Opera House visible at centre and the Harbour Bridge to the right.


This morning I have been doing laundry and spent some time catching up with my cousin back in the states on our weekly FaceTime call. It will never cease to amaze me how technology has shrunk the distance between Australia and the States, making it easy to chat with people on the opposite side of the world.

During the week, it is easiest to catch people back stateside as I am heading to workaround 8:00 a.m. here; 6:00 p.m. the day before on the east coast of the US. On Thursday morning, I got to catch up with some of the extended family, as they were in Atlanta visiting Granddaddy. I think the coolest thing with FaceTime (coupled with my morning walk) is that I can share a bit of Sydney with those who haven't been here.

I got to show Granddaddy the magnificent Victorian architectural gems of Town Hall and the Queen Victoria Building as he was waiting for dinner to begin.

The Queen Victoria Building, completed in 1898, in the heart of the CBD. In the 1970s, the building was going to be knocked down to build a parking deck, but was saved and restored at the last minute.

While it is awesome to be able to share the city with others, I am also still getting reacquainted with the city myself. There are so many things that have changed since I was here last!

Since arriving, I have slowly gotten back into running, and have enjoyed taking different routes every time I go out, to see different parts of the city. On Wednesday evening after work, I did my first 10K run since I ran the Peachtree Road Race in 2016.

My target was the Barangaroo headlands, which look out over the Harbour. I went via the Goodsline and Darling Harbour, which was mobbed with people enjoying the good weather. The Barangaroo Reserve, which is the official name of the area, is an amazing foreshore park which was completed in the last few years. Using Sydney Sandstone, it mimics the original rock outcroppings and landscape which would have existed before European settlement.

With the park about 5 kilometres from my place, it was the perfect mid-point on the journey, providing sweeping views of the harbour, with ferries darting across the water, bringing commuters between the city and North Sydney.

The Harbour and Luna Park from the top of Barangaroo Reserve.

On Thursday night I caught up with Candice, and we checked out a new fast casual restaurant by a celebrity chef. Duck in Duck out, as it is called, quite unsurprisingly features duck in every dish. We enjoyed the food and catching up, and she invited me along to a comedy gig tonight.

This afternoon I will continue to do some laundry (the machines here are so tiny!) and clean a bit before diving into the week.

Not the most exciting updated, but generally all is well here. Fingers crossed the rain is gone and temperatures go up a bit next week.


Comments

Popular Posts