Rediscovering the unseen old

While I may have begun to settle into a routine, each week so far has offered a bunch of fun and interesting things to ensure there's no monotony; this week was no different, as I connected with old friends and old haunts, and even stumbled across some places I know, but had never seen. I'll explain, but first, the old friends:

Back when I lived here in 2012, I met many wonderful people. Along the way, I picked up quite a few friends who work in journalism at some of the largest media outlets in Australia. Two of themboth writershave been working on their first books.

On Tuesday, my friend Bridie launched her debut novel The Way Things Should Be. The event was fantastic, and there was a brief discussion held in front of a packed house in Newtown, just a few blocks from where I used to live. It was a great night, I got a copy of the book (which I am excited to read), and it was nice to catch up briefly with Bridie and her husband. Another friend from the pastwho is also working on his first bookcame up for the evening from Canberra (the national capital of Australia), where he is covering political issues for one of the major newspapers down here.

It's amazing (and humbling) to have such talented friends!

Tonight, as part of the Sydney Comedy Festival, I went with Candice to a venue in Marrickville called The Factory to catch an improv show. It was a fun night and a nice reminder of just how many cultural activities there are to explore. In the a matter of weeks, I've seen comedy shows, been to a book launch, and attended a gallery opening—all featuring friends or friends of friends.

Outside of the various cultural things, I have still been running, checking out different neighbourhoods throughout the city.

On Saturday morning, I ran 10K, heading northwestward to a waterfront suburb called Glebe. I had been there years ago when I worked for the City of Sydney, but the development in the area was astounding. 

Looking toward the city from Glebe.
The Anzac Bridge at Glebe.

As I wended my way through the area, I came across a development that was built since I was last here, and yet was simultaneously very familiar. The development, known as Harold Park, rose on an old racecourse and tram yard in Forest Lodge. When I worked for the City, I spent months reviewing the approvals for the development. So while I had never seen it in person, I knew the buildings well. It was neat to see them in real life.

Some of the new apartments at Harold Park.
As part of the project, the old tram sheds were reused as commercial spaces.

Speaking of old trams, another interesting thing I came across this week was in the heart of the city. As I have mentioned before, Sydney is in the process of building a new light rail line through the heart of the city. The main street, George Street, has been ripped up, and tracks are being laid. However, the project has been substantially delayed due to existing utilities and other obstructions under the pavement.

And guess what the main obstacle has been? Old tram tracks! Like many cities around the world, Sydney progressively closed an extensive network of trams in the mid-1900s, but rather than removing the tracks, they merely paved over them. As I was walking to work one day, I saw crews removing and stacking the old tracks they were uncovering to make way for the new tracks.

Old tram tracks being removed from the street.
Finally, the highlight of the week was my friend Amanda's birthday party on Saturday. Amanda lives out at Bondi—one of the world's most famous beaches—and a dozen of us spent the day out there having brunch, enjoying amazing weather, and catching up. We could not have asked for a nicer Saturday!

The view of Bondi Beach from Amanda's rooftop terrace.

As chance would have it, when I walked up to Amanda's building, I remembered that I had been there many years before, and had in fact eaten in the cafe on the ground floor. It is a small world.

Today was spent working, doing chores, and running a few errands. In the morning, Candice and I headed over to the Addison Road Farmers Market to do some shopping. With so many farmers markets around, I look forward to getting fresh fruits and veggies to cook with in the future.

But, for now, bedtime. Lots to do this week at work before I head off to Melbourne on Thursday evening.

Comments

Popular Posts